urgent help with hartke head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lessthanpunk, Aug 8, 2002.

1. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002

I have a show tommorrow, a big show for us, and my Hartke 3500 head, just started crappin out on me. Im using a 8 ohm avatar 4x10 with it, and its not the avatar, because i've used another amp head that i have with it, and it sounds perfect.

When I play with the head.... it kind of sounds like a really crappy cable, or loose output jack, its not speaker overdriving, just fuzzing, and crackling. Its not the bass, i've used several basses, with the same outcome. I've changed speaker cables, intrument cables, everything. Its the head, for sure.

What do i do? Does it just need cleaning? Please give me some advice! How much should i expect to pay if it does need a cleaning? And what else could be wrong with it?

Thanks for your help!
  2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Dude, look at my post 'Wind Noise' in setup. I have been having a similar problem. Mine wasnt as bad as yours by the sound of it.

Try using JUST the tube or Solid State pre-amps and see if its on both. Mine was just on the tube. I opened it up, gave the tube a wiggle, and it has dissapeared.

For now!

Let me know what happens. Good luck with the gig
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    my 7000 had a high pitched ticking that sounded like the horn in my cab was getting torn up... turned out it was just that the tube saddle was loose and vibrating (and possibly a microphonic tube)
    i suggest gently tightening the saddle and getting a new 12ax7 for your preamp. ;)
  4. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002
    i tried using the just the solid state and just the tube, and it didnt work. I still got all the noises.
  5. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Ok man, you might as well try the following:

Replace the (origional?) Sovtek tube with a new one, possibly a better specced one like a Electro Harmonix etc. The old tube will come out of the circuit board with a gentle wiggle and pull. Simply slot the new one in.

Make sure the amp is clean- try vacuming the inside gently. be careful.

Look for loose solder joints and if required, solder them afresh.

Try the amp in another room in the house. your socket might be dodgy.

Make sure your cab is plugged in correctly. I use hartke cabs so I dont know the ins and outs of yours. Are you using good cable(s)?

I fixed my annoying fuzz noise this afternoon by replacing the tube.

Good luck! If you get really stuck, take it to an authorised repair center and borrow an amp for your gig.

..And relax! its bound to be something really simple which might be hard to find, but probably will be easy to fix. Go at it with a level head and think logically. There are plenty of links on the forum to help with any queries. They sorted me out!!

6. lessthanpunk

May 6, 2002
    hey guys, thanks for the help, i appreciate it,

I took it into an amp guy an hour away, and he fixed it right up, with the "hit everything with pen till it fuzzes" method. Just to see what was loose. It was just some wire. Damn! 20 bucks, oh well, its fixed.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You need to change the tube in your head.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Twenty bucks is cheap. Don't weep.