URGENT:i need warm,bassy nickel roundwounds.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 19, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    tommorow im getting some new nickel roundwounds.I'm looking for the gauge .45-.100.
    I want a warm,bassy tone.Mainly the tone in "soul to squeeze" by RHCP or "date rape" Sublime.Well actually almost all sublime songs have that tone.These are almost all the roundwound strings the store im going to sell

GHS Bass boomers
    Fender Super's
    Ernie Ball Slinky's
    D' addario's

What are the best ones from that list to fit my description?Also if there are better ones just tell me and ill see tommorow if my store has them.Thanks!
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    one more thing....

I've heard that the bassy sound is more EQ related.I've messed with my EQ alot and on my strings i got right now,but it doesn't help much,I guess its cuz theyre dead!But if there are any strings that give a bassy and warm tone without even boosting the bass high,please tell me.:)
  3. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I think any of those strings will give you a good bassy tone, except for the Erniw Ball's. I just got some Ernie's and they are very twangy, even after being broken in, I think a thicker gauge would be better if you go with the Ernie Ball's.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Bassy tone? If I were a jerk...I'd suggest bass strings. ;)

Try some DR nickels, any kind, or D'addario SloWounds.
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    hey too late!i got some d addario XL's.I really like them.Amazing sound for slap,yet there very clangy.Hopefully they'll get warmer over time.i got them in .45-.100.Anybody had these?if you do,tell me how you like them,and how long it took for yours to lose some of the clankiness....if clankiness is even a word.
  6. Well, they're not D'Adarios, but I use a brand called Bullfrogs.. 50-105 4 string set. They were really quite tawngy or "clackety" as you put it for about 3-4 weeks. After that, they started to get really nice and warm. Now I've got the tone on most RHCP songs nailed (although I cannot play them all.. :) but I sound like I could!) :D