Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT! IS THIS TOBIAS PRE-GIBSON? ONLY 39 MIN TO GO.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iualum, May 17, 2004.

1. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    HELP. Seller, 2nd owner, says the Growler was made late '93 or early '94. Serial number is 5009. Has "T" on headstock. says "Tobias" immediately under battom of fretboard. IS THIS PRE-GIBSON? Owner says yes.

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think this is what you're looking for, and it looks like the seller's lying to you. For what it's worth, though, it seems (as per the website), that even though Gibson officially owned the company at that time, the original Tobias staff was still building the guitars until late 1992, and then "it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew..."

3. "Pre-Gibson" can mean a couple of different things. As EyeScream quoted, Tobias actually sold the company to Gibson in 1990. However, the basses continued to be built by essentially the same folks in California, headed by Michael Tobias, for a couple more years. I believe the last serial number before production left California and went to the Gibson Nashville facility was 2044--any way you figure it, basses after that are no longer "pre-Gibson".

Mike

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah. Looking at purely the serial numbers, the guy's sellin you a story, man.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    You're BOTH great!. Thanks very much. Appreciate the Talkbass brotherhood.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Nuttin but a thang, bro.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the last Mike Tobias built "Tobias" bass was serial 2044, so that one is not even close to being an original.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The last "pre-Gibson" bass was ol' number 2044, so number 5009, presumably being made after No. 2044, is not a "pre-Gibson" bass. That's my story, and I'm stickin' with it.

Proud to be of service.