Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT: MM at bridge, which pickup at Neck???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jan 5, 2004.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I just bought a body with a MM pup at the bridge, and have the option to route another fairly standard pickup at the neck for free.

I'd like to get the most versatility I can without going overboard on complex wiring.

So should I put a MM, J or some sort of soapbar at the neck position??? I'm probably going to go all Bartolini for the pickups. I like the P and MM sound with a little J growl thrown in.

I have to tell them what to do tomorrow, so it's important that I get this straightened out fast.

Thanks!

2. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Is there an echo in here?

:D

3. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    put a J pickup on it..ive always wanted an MM pickup at the bridge of my jazz,i think it sounds sweet.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    A J, or how about another MM?

5. A J sounds nice with a MM. Laklands have that configuration, with Barts as well. Sounds amazing. Nice variety of tones.

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I thought about another MM and it seems a good option to keep everything the same. However that may be a curse too. Keeping the pickups the same might hinder the variety of sounds I could get.

If Laklands use a J (and I'm thinking of using Bartolinis as well) then is there a pre-thought out and premanufactured set of preamp/pickups I could just install?

Are the Lakland MM + J outfits passive?

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure if this is a 4/5/12 string or whatever, or what your string spacing is.

The Laklands are passive, they're supposedly custom made by Bartolini for Lakland but you should be able to get an appropriately sized neck J pickup from bestbassgear.com or guitarelectronics.com or such. The Bart J's are inline humbuckers, so you shouldn't have any noise issues.

I don't have much experience with the Bart MM's, but if they have coil tap options then you could wire the neck pup to be series/parallel switchable. That would give more variety than a J alone.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Actually, David, all of the Laklands except for the classic versions and some signature models are active.

I really like my MM/J configuration with a coil splitter. I can get a stunning variety of tone out of it. It's fantastic.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Are you sure?
    There was some discussion about this here a while ago
    The 55-01 with default Korean pickups (MK's) are active. The 55-01 with US Bart pickups upgrade and the 55-02 have passive pickups. I had a 55-02 for a while, and it had passive pups.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They have active preamps. But the pickups are passive.

11. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks,

I ordered it with the J-pickup out front and the standard 4-hole diamond pattern for the pots/switches.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are correct, David.

13. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I'm planning on going with a Bartoline MME and 9J setup. Are those passive pickups?

With a Bart 2 band harness I can wire I can use the volume push-pull for active/passive. I have four holes already put in in the familiar Les Paul config. If I add a coil tap switch to go with the MM, will I have to wire it into the Bart preamp or will it be a separate affair?