1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Urgent: New Mighty Mite Neck Issues!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Hey all,

I just got home and my Mighty Mite unlined fretless neck (#MM2919) arrived. First of all, the neck is a little too thin for my Squier Precision Special. I can actually slide it about 1/16ths of an inch from side to side. What should I do? I was hoping to screw it on tonight, but I don't know what to do with this.

Should I add shim it on either side? My concern with this method is that I have to drill the holes for the neck bolts myself, and I'm worried I may not put it on straight. Should I use the longer side of the pocket (at the upper horn) as a straight edge and then shim the lower part?

Also, and less urgent, there seems to be no finish on it at all. It looks a tad shiny when spun in light, but it may just be sanded down to a satin sheen. There really doesn't seem to be any layering effect, which would tell me there is no finish on it. Is this good? Can I play it like this, and if so, for how long before it needs a finish? Anyone know of what the finish is like on these necks? Is there some sort of a sealer coat?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    I can't advise you on the neck pocket issue, but the neck does have a satin finish on it. You are fine to play on it.

3. Great, that really does help me calm me down a bit. I appreciate that.

I just hope I can get this pocket issue resolved soon. I don't live in a forgiving house when it comes to temperature changes, and I didn't want this neck to sit too long without tension on it. If anyone could help me with this that would be huge!

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I have bought 15 or 20 mighty mite necks. I only had a problem with one.

And remember I put 5 strings on a 4 string neck.

5. Well the neck seems very well crafted. It really looks great, and I'm glad to know there is a small finish on it. I don't blame Mighty Mite for the issue I'm having with the neck pocket. It isn't looking like I'm going to resolve this tonight though.

6. I think I figured out a way.

I cut two strips of cardboard and stuffed them down either side, and the neck is a very snug fit now. I don't think this is a good permanent solution. I'd rather use veneer strips or something, but at least I think it will be a tight enough fit for now to screw the neck down straight and string her up.

EDIT TO ADD: Found some emery boards, and took off the emery so it's basically a wider but thinner in thickness Popsicle stick. Works perfectly and is about the same width as the depth of the pocket. Thanks everyone... Got a bit crazy there.

7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Fit some strings quick and see if they line up well on the fingerboard. If they do, clamp the neck in place (pads on both surfaces of the clamp!!!!!) and drill the holes in the heel. There's probably different/better methods for drilling the holes, but that's what I do.

IME, a tight pocket from side to side isn't a big deal. I put a mighty mite neck on my P and there is a pretty big gap on the bass side of the pocket. Still sounds like a P and isn't noticeable from a distance.

8. Thanks, I actually did string it up last night. I used the method I mentioned and when it looked nice and straight, I drilled in the four holes, bolted it on, and finished with the rest.

In the photo the neck looks like it's on an angle, but I'm sure that's just the way the bass was sitting in the stand. I've done measurements after looking at the shot and everything is pretty equal on the G and E strings. The G string is about 1/64th closer to the edge of the neck at the heel then it is at the E string. I didn't string it up when I was lining it up, which would have better in hindsight, but whatever, I'm happy. This bass cost me less than $200 in total.

[​IMG]

9. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Looks awesome!!! I love building instruments on the cheap!

Here's my under $200 mighty mite necked build:

7e326f1c.

I have an under $150 strat in the building process now. I've only hit $75 so far and just need to get more paint.

10. I like it! That colour combo is really sweet.

Yeah, I think I have a new hobby... Less bass playing and more bass making.

:cool:

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

A piece of metal screen in the pocket will stop neck movement if you have further issues with it. Nice basses fellas!

12. Thanks... Alright, enough talking, got to go play my new baby. She is super light. The neck weighs nothing and the agathis body is super light as well.

13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Hey Matthew, are you still liking that Mighty Mite MM2919 neck? I may grab one myself :)

14. Still digging it. I had to lower the nut slots a decent amount, and I have a bit of a beef with ebonol. When it scratches, the scratches are white in colour, and I like keeping my bass gear in pristine condtion, so I've pretty much settled on only using tapewounds on it, but that's me and my observations with every ebonol board I've had. I'm loving the quality though, and would certainly recommend it

15. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Sounds good, thanks :) I think I may play rounds on it, and if it scratches I'll fix it with a sharpie lol. Is it really more of a Precision carve or is it slimmer, like a Jazz neck?

16. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    The mighty mite neck I bought was way too fat for my blacktop body. I had to sand the heel down a lot.

17. It has a 9.5 radius, and is the width of a precision neck.

Though, when I had a fretted Fender P bass, whenever I'd switch from the MM2919 and pick up the Fender P, the Fender felt massive and nearly unplayable.

If you want precise measurements, let me know

18. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Precision width at the nut is fine, I was really more concerned with the depth of the neck, the thickness at around the 12th fret. I guess for the price if it is too thick I can sand it down and reseal it though. Thanks again :)