URGENT: Peavey Foundation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supermetroid, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Ahoy there! I spotted a 1980-something MIA Peavey Foundation in the music store. It's got a maple neck and fingerboard and two soapbar p'ups, which may or may not be single coil. The whole bass seems solid: tuners are nice and tight; the finish is only mildly scratched in a few places; and it has a neck tilt adjustment in addition to the truss rod adjustment. The bridge saddles are pretty rusted (my only significant concern; but, hey, it's replaceable), the jack is a bit questionable, and the tone knob doesn't have much noticeable effect on the sound. The pots are also slightly scratchy but no worse than my old Squier. Otherwise it seems to be a good buy -- $174.99 and comes w/molded plastic case. It sounds quite good: nice and deep, surprisingly focused.

What do you fellows know about the Foundation? Does this strike you as a smart purchase? The store can only hold it for 24 hours, so I need to decide right away.
  2. If you can fix it and like it get it.
    I bought one that was that was in mint shape.
    This was 15 years ago and it cost me $150
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I liked the sounds of the ones I've played.
    The only thing I've occasionally seen on Foundations is that the necks are quite thin and sometimes develop a bow that can't be straightened out. If this one plays fine after this many years, though, it should be a nice bass and a very good deal.

4. I went back and played it again. Still dig that tone, but the jack is just not reliable. They're going to try to either repair or replace it (at no charge, of course). The issue here is that Peavey apparently makes its own parts, and it's possible that this particular jack has been discontinued.

Any experience replacing jacks in Peavey basses? Can I have them install a Switchcraft or something?
  5. I would have to go to my friends to see my Peavy bass but I cant think that the jack is anything special.

May be bull.
  6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I had a peavey t-40 and the jack was standard stuff. The foundation is a much nicer bass with a beefy tone and no market value so if it gets stolen you can replace it cheap ;)

Go for it!
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Foundations are good basses with a kind of a Jazz Bass flavor. Those "Super Ferrite" soapbars are indeed single coil. If you solo one it will buzz like a Jazz Bass. Nothing wrong with that, because they sound great.

I've read that some Nashville heavy hitter studio guys still have Foundations in their arsenals because they sound so good. It's made in USA.

That is a Good Bass. Probably comprable to similar vintage made in USA Fenders quality-wise. Definitely a huge step up from a Squier.
  8. Good news: the jack is a standard Switchcraft model. So assuming the replacement goes in without any mishaps, I should have the bass on Monday.

Thanks for your help!
  9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So did you get it? Do you like it? Can we see pics????? :)
  10. All in good time, all in good time...
  11. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    dont let the made in USA. fool you,they are decent basses but have design issues.i had one that had serious tension on the strings and would pop the G string often.i brang(brought)it to my bass guy and it needed to have the bridge relocated to lower on the bass,IT WAS'NT WORTH THE TIME AND MONEY.:mad: so i took it along with a mexican p-bass i had flopping around and traded them both in for a kick arse japanese p/j bass. i never told the dude at the store why i hated it but i noticed that both times they sold it it came back to them:D . i did some research on them and they are'nt that great of a bass even though there american made.i see them all the time selling for 200.00$ in mint cond. so do the math;)
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: I think that's treading an aweful thin line of intentional misrepresentation on that trade in geezer.,( I would hate to be the one to buy that bass have it dissapoint me like that)

For the most part peavey foundations have really impressed me for the price. I think its a good decision supermetroid (like the name). with about $100 ou can have that bass in nice shape.
  13. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    I had one in '85 and I really liked it. I think that they sound great!
  14. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    the jack on my foundation also had problems, along with the bowed neck deal, but as a first bass I Loved it.
  15. Actually they're willing to do the jack repair for free, and everything else on the bass is in good shape. Thanks for the name complement (it's still a great game, even after about 8 years).
  16. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    you mite be correct, but the bass i bought was "AS IS" and found out that it had "some issues"as well.the bass i recieved in the trade was used and the salesman did'nt tell me that it had been re-wired at the store when it came in(my friend works for that store and claims they intentionally dont tell customers about problems)this store is famous for lousy guitars,so had the place of buisness been one of better repoire i would have been more honest,but seeing how i had to give up 2 basses to get one(i knew i was being had but i wanted the fender at any cost).if you would like for me to explain why i did what i did i can but please know this ,IT WAS'NT THE FIRST TIME THE STORE TRIED TO PULL A FAST ON ME:mad: .what goes around comes around:D .and did i mention i was given 100.00$ credit for the bass and they sold it for 300.00$.they told me it would only net 150.00$ re-sale.SO WHO MIS-REPRESENTED WHO?:confused:
  17. Got it! I have fifteen days to pluck, slap, tap and otherwise punish it; and if something goes wrong during this time, I can return it for a refund. I've been playing it for the past hour, and it sounds excellent.
  18. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i was'nt refering to you,i have come across so better ones but they were some of the older models.if you like the bass thats all that matters,you can always find good basses in all makes and models it takes some expeience but its not impossible. as long as it stays in tune,has a functioning t-rod,good fretts, and it works then its all gravy from there.i was'nt trying to scare you off from getting it and i'm sorry if i came off like that i was'nt trying to be a tool. GOOD LUCK :D PS. had it not been for the issue with the bridge i probably would'nt of traded it off,it did have a decent sound coming from its double soap-bar pick-ups but it was'nt enuff to sway the other issues.
  19. No offense taken, geezer. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with that store.