Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Urgent question! Installing a new neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fake Trees, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Fake Trees

Fake Trees

Feb 9, 2003
    I just got a neck from Warmoth drilled for BML tuners. When i took the old tuners from my old neck (they are BML's) i noticed that the washers (or whatever you call them) dont fit in the holes on the new neck! whats going on? Are they not sopposed to fit in the holes for the tuning keys? how do i get them in?

I need help thanks!

2. First off, are the holes too large or too small?

Too large and there is definitely a problem that you'll have to take up with Warmoth. But too small and it's something you can do yourself.

If your bushings (that's what they're called) have little ridges around the ring as most do, don't mistake the added force needed to press these in as being a misfit. SOME pressure is needed but not to the point of splitting the headstock. If you can't push the bushings in by hand with a tight fit, then you will likely need to relieve the diameter of the hole a little. Take some 80 grit sandpaper and wrap it around a pencil or other small rod and sand out the hole evenly. Go slowly and constanty test fit your bushing until it will go win with some good thumb pressure. Then move onto the next hole. The little ridges are to keep the bushing from turning in the hole and when they cut into the wood is where the resistance comes from. They've got to be somewhat tight to keep from rattling while you're playing.

Hope this helps.

3. I had this exact problem with an allparts neck and standard tuners. I did what Hambone sugggested but I did over compensate on one of them, so my advice is GO SLOW AND CHECK OFTEN. If they end up too big they will fall out and that's a real drag, baby.