1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urgent: Schroeder 21012L or 410L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malpasso, Feb 19, 2008.

1. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Hi!
    I must make an urgent decision on either of these cabs to have it shipped by the end of this week.:scowl:

Schroeder 21012L or 410L

Have gone through many posts and threads, but never a direct comparison between the two of them has turned up. The 21012L is said to have a lower bottom and a be a bit shorter in the upper-mids -not so bad for slap-, but, what about the 410L?

The cab should be versatile and able to cover a range of styles from pop-rock through funk-slap to glissando-filled fretless.
    Help me ot!

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I can't speak for the 410, but I run a 310212 and I love it. The sound is just crushing. If it turns out I need a bit more, I throw my 1212 underneath it. That being said, I've never been in a situation that required me to use both.

3. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    IMO, get the 21012. I've got a 410 and I miss the deep end of my old 115, and I do a lot of slap.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    jsm, you're talking about your ampeg 410, right?

5. RBASS930

RBASS930 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Had them both and preferred the 410L. Plenty of low end in the 410L, but yes a bit more in the 21012L. I just felt overall that the 410 gave me a more balanced sound overall and a tighter low end. This was using a Carvin B1500 with mostly Fender Jazz's, Yamaha BB's, and a Dingwall AB1, playing finger-style in a top 40 cover band (pop, rock, hip-hop, a bit of metal, freestyle) FWIW. I never really did slap through these, so I can't comment on that.

You probably can't go wrong with either, but I recommend contacting Jorg with your question. He is great about setting you up with the right cab for your needs.

6. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i have a 410R and i love it.

it has enuff low end that it doesn't sound boomy. its very clear, precise and focused.

i'd go 410

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    exactly...

I preferred the 410 for my needs.
    You also need to factor R vs L into your equation, cause they do sound different.

8. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks everybody for your answer:
    There seems to be a tie so far, so cuclusions are not that enlightening.

Which one would you say that more balanced?
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""sweeter sounding?
    """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""easier to EQ?:eyebrow:

9. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    By the way...
    I have contacted Jorg in the meantime. Nice guy and terribly fast answer.
    With the few schematic data I gave him, he favoured the 21012L
    Does the fact that it has more low end make it "boomy"?
    :meh:

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    no, it's still pretty focused on the bottom. at least my 310212 is.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i like 10's because of the tight responsiveness.

my low B slams even at high volume, and is crazy punchy. i like never eq and extra mids into my sound either.

i played a gig friday, 1000 people, full PA support and my bass amp on stage was killing. more than enough volume, and the clarity/definition as to die for. i could have played all night the way she was sounding.

i love 410's

12. I don't know if this will help or not, because as Chef points out, the Ls sound different than the Rs. I have early model versions (before Jorg offered the L versions) of both the 410 and 21012. I have used them both individually, and I, like others here, prefer the 410. The 410 (at least the R version) has plenty of bottom, and the enhanced mids relative to the 21012 cut through better.

Now what really sounds good is using both, with the 410 on top, powered by a nice ballsy amp. So that settles it - get both. :D

13. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Time for some recollection:
    It seems that owners of the 21012 love it (fuller low end without being boomy, slap cab, slightly scooped in the upper-mid region, similar to a 1x15 + 2x10 stack), which is great. But when we get to those who have tried/used both, tend to turn to the 410 (enough bottom, more clarity, evenness0= balanced frequency range, a bit more headroom, punchier for finger playing...)
    any comments?:D

14. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Honestly man, I think you'll be satisfied with either. Flip a coin?

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    further comment:
    If, after talking to you, Jorg recommended the 410, I dunno why you're still axtin' us mooks....

16. Yeah I like either one, but like 'em both the best.

Alembic_CA9_Schroeder.

17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    so mint

18. malpasso

malpasso

Apr 24, 2005
    Finally I ordered the 410L
    :hyper:
    We'll see what happens!