Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT! Storing PowerPoint presentations on a CD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 9, 2005.

1. Is it possible, what kind of CD do you have to have? A recordable DVD disc?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just use a regular CD-R. I do not recommend CD-RW's because they will not be compatible with every drive and computer. Just save the entire file to a CD. Be sure to include any sound files you may have used in the presentation, and make sure it references the file on the CD, and not the one on your hard drive. When you move it to another computer, it will look for it on your hard drive, which will obviously not be there.

3. I go to "Save As" and then go to CD Drive D: and it says "The Parameter Is Incorrect" and then says "You do not have access to folder D:/, See your administrator for access to this folder." Whats the deal?

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    First of all, do you have a cd-burner?
    Second, what operating system are you running?

You will not be able to save your files to a cd without a cd-burner. The front of the drive should say something like CD-RW or something to that effect.....
    Just to make sure....

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Same thing with any special fonts and any other files you'll be referencing such as pictures. If you want to use special fonts that aren't standard on all computers then just copy and paste the font onto the CD before you burn it. When you get set up to do the presentation then quickly copy and paste the font from the CD into the fonts section of the C: drive. I'm sure there's probably some way to make it read the fonts from the CD but this has always worked for me.

brad cook

6. Make sure you don't reference drive letters in your presentation. I'm not too familiar with powerpoint, so I'm not sure if this is applicable or not... If your main files are in a "c:\PowerPoint" folder, and your pictures, for example, are in "c:\PowerPoint\pictures" you can reference to the pictures as ".\pictures\image.jpg" or whatever the file name is. The ".\" just means the current folder, or "c:\PowerPoint" here. Two periods ("..\") means the higher level folder, or "c:\" in this case. This way, it wont be looking for files on your hard drive when you run it from a CD. That's a handy trick to know if you do web design too, as it makes things more portable.

About burning to a CD, you may have to use a separate program to burn them. Unless your burner does direct writing, which I believe you can only do with a CD-RW, you wont be able to save directly to it.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    See if in the "File" menu there's a "Pack and Go" option. That's what you need. You've got to "Pack and Go" to a directory on your computer, then write that directory to your CD.

Works every time.

8. Just so you guys know, I didn't see the "Package for CD" button. Oops! Thanks for your help though!