Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

URGENT..URGENT.....URGENT!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jan 15, 2005.

1. i have a gig tommorow.......sunday.....and well i just broke the e string at practice tonight, my bass is a new american fender jazz and as most of you know the saddle has three small slots, so the e string MUST be taperd. is there any other strings besides fender 8250 that are taperd, ghs maybe. please help.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    FWIW, I have a newer MIA with the same bridge, and I use non-tapered strings without any problems...

3. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I have the Fender Hot Rod P-Bass. I think my bass has those same grooves. I use a regular E string. I thought I need the taperd string too.

4. well i still want to use a taperd srting though. i found acouple companies that carrie taperd (contact core) strings

ghs contact cor super steels
    Dean Markley sr2000
    Labella super steps
    dr long neck
    sit taperwounds
    Rotosound rs99

i am just currios if the cmall part is long enough to go through the bridge on them.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The RS 99's have an adjustable ball-end, so you can make the skinny part as long as you want. Kind of a PITA to install.

I don't know if the others will make it through the body or not. I think they're made more for top load bridges. If your bass is recent, it might have the "deluxe" bridge that you can string either thru the body or thru the bridge. My '04 has that. Then you could string it through the bridge with other taperwounds. You'd probably have to raise your A and D saddles to compensate for the tapered winding on these strings as well.

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, I re-read your post and saw that your bass is new. AFAIK, it will have the deluxe bridge. You can use any old taperwounds if you string through the bridge instead of the body. Just check to make sure the bridge has holes in the back to accept strings.

7. well i jsut gat back from my gig. i was freaking out this morning ccalling all the stores in town and guitar center had dr long necks, so i headed down there and picked them up, i play a 4 strings jazz and i relized i just purchased the 5 string pack, but i just used the 4 strings and i guess i can use the b string for a bracelt or somethin. anyways the drs are very bright, but sound pretty damn good and i am not experiencing the overtowns like other dr users do, i think i am going to keep experimenting with other strings to see if i can find really good tapers.