1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

URGENT: What’s a good cabinet for a Gallien-Kreuger 2001RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ethan93, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    I have a recital in a few days and a speaker on my GK Neo 4x10 cabinet appears to have blown. I’m getting distorted sound out of the amp no matter what. I’m trying to think of a good substitute for the GK Neo 4x10. One friend offered up their Ampeg, another their Eden 4x10, another offered a Peavey, and another friend offered up a GK Neo 4x12. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Sorry you’re having troubles. If I’m getting GK cabs on backline gigs, I request the RBX stuff. Heavy, but I prefer it to their Neo range.

The 2001 is a beast of an amp. Needs a cab worthy of that kind of horsepower!

Ethan93 likes this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Of those options? Any would work for what you need but I think I'd choose the GK 412 Neo.

stigbeve, petrus61 and blubass like this.
  4. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    I also would confirm that it is the cabinet and not the speaker cable or amp. If you haven’t already, try the amp with a different speaker cable and then through another cabinet if the noise persists. Also try patching a cable in the effects loop or carefully clean the send/return jacks with DeOxit; corrosion on the jacks from lack of use can cause issues.

Given the output the amp is capable of, I’d borrow the GK 4x12. That would be a fun setup!

Ethan93, wave rider and dukeorock like this.
  5. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Yup... find another 4X12 and stand back... way back :bassist:

Ethan93 likes this.
  6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    NEO412. Awesome Cabinet.

Ethan93 likes this.
  7. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    A couple of NEO 212s would be another choice, if you want something pretty much just as loud as the 412 but easier to cart around solo, especially if stairs are involved. I have a pair and they are loud as heck with just an MB800 driving them.

Ethan93 likes this.
  8. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    GK 2001RB has a lot of firepower, I'd go for an Ampeg 810 (IMO, GK heads pair well with Ampeg cabs) or a GK Neo 412.

digmeout and Ethan93 like this.
  9. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    Thanks for all the advice, Bass players. I picked up my buddy’s 2x12 and I’m going to post on here again after I isolate the issue. Also borrowed his 1001 rb so by process of elimination I can figure out which part of my setup is acting whack.
    Everyone on here has been very insightful and I appreciate it!

PS: I seem to hear negative things about GK customer service, but I gotta say I’ve never had more educational, patient people on the phone. Jason in service/sales is very helpful and I gotta disagree with the negative comments I've heard about the way they handle things.

Kro likes this.
  10. Ethan93

Ethan93

Nov 30, 2017
    Very good to know in the future. Can’t go wrong with Ampeg’s high-tier stuff, right?

11. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    What kind of Ampeg cab?

I'd choose between that and the 412. Eden cabs also play nice with GK heads but I prefer Ampeg or GK cabs.

12. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I use 2 ampeg 810s or a GK 810rbx +ampeg SVT 215 with mine.

13. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Seems like a solid approach. And as far as the customer service is concerned, those negative things must have been about trying to reach them by email. By phone, they've always incredibly responsive and professional.