1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Urrghh....yuck. Stupid open-mike night (drumming related)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 21, 2009.

1. To cut a long story short I helped out at a open-mike night on drums. The song was Styx- Renegade.

Anyway, I got to the stage and realised that the kit was righty. I'm a lefty. i decided rather than waste time, I'd try and play righty.

BIG mistake. I started to play, only for me to mess up completely. I tried to regain the rhythm only to mess up AGAIN.
    This caused the ENTIRE band to stop and look around to me, who was panicking like an idiot.

We ended up stopping whilst I rearranged the kit and then replayed the song.

Note to self: You're a LH drummer, play leftie!

2. YUP, you cant switch up like that, I can not imagine being handed a bass strung up for a left hander and being expected to play it on the fly, sure I could tell myself where the notes were and figure it out, but to just take it and play a song on thy fly, train wreck waiting.

3. It's all I deserve for trying to take shortcuts setting up drums...

4. the left drummers i know play open handed i think, so they can use a kit set up for right handed people, makes it easier

5. I love being ambidextrious. I learn an instrument both ways, which means no panic. Try playing open handed it helps alot.

6. Yes, yes it is.

7. I know....:bawl:

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    You should have puked on the set,problem solved.

9. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    I can't fathom how a left hand drumset works, high-hat on the right side?

10. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Who is this Open Mike and why does he have his own night?

11. In this situation you should have simply played the floor tom like a bongo whilst hitting the 1 and 3 on the bass drum. All those cymbals just take away from the organic sound of percussion IMO.

12. mgash

mgash

Mar 8, 2006
    folsom ca
    renegede at an open mic?

13. the engine

the engine Guest

Bwhahahahaha!!!! Almost fell outa my chair!!!!

14. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    that is what I was thinking

15. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    mgash....I'm with you. A Styx song at an open mike? Wow....talk about pressure!

16. From the left it goes: tom-tom, bass drum and little toms (on top, snare and finally the hi-hat.