1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ursa bass with humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 19, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
  2. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    or just spend the extra 11 dollars and get a squire???

3. xepher2792

xepher2792

Oct 7, 2011
    Ventura CA
    I haven't played one so i don't know how they sound but people on the boards are generally pleased with their essexs for the money.
    I don't think they make a Squier with a jazz and a humbucker.
    I don't see why it wouldn't be a good candidate for defretting.

4. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    yeah, the squire would be either p/j j/j or single humbucker.
    I was wondering if there was a quality difference between the ursa and the squier also.

5. Depends on who you ask.

IMO both are hit and miss. Squier's QC has gotten pretty good lately, but I love my Ursa. Better than most Squiers I've played, again IMO.

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Haven't played one of those, but I suspect the humbucker sounds a lot (or maybe even is) like the cheap MM copy humbuckers I bought a bunch of. They are pretty decent pickups. But won't sound much like a MM because that depends a lot on it's position on the guitar. The problem (other than usual SX stuff) will be that the Jazz pickup is single coil and will have a lot of hum though it will sound GREAT! Hence you will have to think about living with hum or getting a new neck pickup.

Usual SX stuff is a copper foil shielding (does not fix single coil hum!) and a new cheapo bridge is often in order too. Rondo often (but not always) has extra necks for sale sometimes in fretted and sometimes in fretless. That can ease a fretless conversion if you are lucky. Even just an extra neck can relieve some worries about if you screw up. Tuners are sometime stiff. Otherwise will be nice low cost Fender clone bass made from REAL wood rather than the cheaper trees or multiple sticks used on Squiers. I think Squirers are better quality on the details, but the SX are real 3 piece Alder. I personally like the SX pickups' sound better, but note what I said above about hum.

My personal choice would be the SX J/MM setup with a Dimarzio replacing the J to get rid of hum. That should be a killer fretless Jazz bass! Note that when defretting a fretted bass, the side markers end up in the wrong places. The cure is to make 'fretlines' a contrasting color so they can be easily seen from the side.

7. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks for the info and the advice.
    I like the idea of using a fretless neck, hopefully they will have one available when the time comes if I go the ursa route.
    I was wondering though, would I be better of with the ursa j/mm and replacing the neck and the j pickup?
    or would I be better off getting the douglas fretless j/j and replacing the bridge pickup with an MM style pickup?
    Douglas Lacerta BK Fretless at RondoMusic.com