1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

US Air Force Bands Looking for Upright/Electric Bass Players

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by colin6650, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Hello Bass Players:

The US Air Force Bands have 3 vacancies for a Bass Guitar/Double Bass player. The Air Force has 8 different bands located across the US and 2 overseas.

Applicants should be well-rounded performers, capable of performing styles including classical, rock, and jazz. You must also be able to read music, including lead sheets/changes and traditional written notation.

To apply, send a resume and a CD containing sample recordings of your playing to:

US Air Force Academy Band

ATTN: MSgt Jason Crowe, Auditions Coordinator

520 Otis Street

Peterson AFB CO 80914

Electronic Resume and Mp3’s can be submitted as well to:

usafabandauditions@gmail.com

It's highly recommended to include a variety of styles on both upright and electric bass on the submitted recording. Materials should be received by November 15, 2016. Those selected as semifinalists for the audition will be notified and the audition will be held at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, CO on December 16, 2016. More information about audition requirements may be found here:

http://www.usafacademyband.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-161005-009.pdf

If selected for the position, you will work with a recruiter to attend Air Force Basic Training, an 8-week period of indoctrination into the Air Force. Minimum enlistment is four years - at the end of those four years, you will have the opportunity to re-enlist.

After basic training you'll be sent directly to your band - no tech school or other training to complete. You'll be able to pick whatever gear you'd like to use, and it will be provided for you.

RUMOR CONTROL: As a member of the Air Force Bands, you are a musician filling a position in an Air Force Band. You come to work, play your axe, go on occasional tours in the band’s area of responsibility, and enjoy playing bass for a living. It is not a "special duty assignment" that you'll only get to do for a while - it's your actual job. You can't and won't be pulled out of the band to guard planes in Iraq or have to learn some other military job. You are, however, a member of the US Air Force, and although that carries the responsibilities of being in the military, you also receive the associated benefits such as *free* healthcare, the G.I. Bill, and (if you make it your career) a retirement plan.

There is a possibility of being deployed overseas, but you would be deployed alongside other musicians to function as a musical group (most likely a rock band). During deployment you will perform for other troops - nothing else (not guarding planes, etc.). Those who have deployed like this report that it is one of the most rewarding experiences of their career. Length of these deployments is typically four months or less.

For more information, contact MSgt Jason Crowe by email at usafabandauditions@gmail.com. You may also find the answers to some of your questions on the Air Force Bands website at:

United States Air Force Bands - Regional Band FAQ

Here are some links to a couple of videos:

Blue Steel:

Air Force Academy’s Top 40 Band covers Justin Timberlake on the Twist Stage

Pegasus:

Jazz Combo:

ISB:

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Ever seen an electric only player selected for a USAF band?

Ductapeman and Leo Smith like this.
  3. Sorry, we really need a player that plays both.

Spaceman Ian and Leo Smith like this.
  4. mrgoodbass

mrgoodbass Supporting Member

May 9, 2006
    California
    what's the age restriction?

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  5. You cannot be 40 or older. Must be under.

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  6. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's a doubler’s chair, make no mistake. There have been rare cases over the last 20+ years where a player was not a strong / good upright player. They did not help the greater good...

I did Air Force bands for twenty years. If any of you have questions or interest, please send me a message.

Spaceman Ian likes this.
  7. noalbany

noalbany Banned

Oct 29, 2004
    The musicianship here is weak. Any younger musicians considering this should think twice. It's god awful.

8. Leo Smith

Leo Smith

Oct 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You'll have to be more specific about your situation in order to have some credibility.

9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I was an Air Force brat and when we were stationed in Panama in the late 70's and would often enjoy the USAF band. Always had great bass players. It was also the first time I'd ever seen an Alembic Series I bass. I wanted to join up after graduating in 1979 but my reading skills were not good and I had only been playing for a couple of years.