1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US Ampeg SVT II to Argentina 220 Volts, 50 Hz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bostero77, Oct 9, 2013.

1. bostero77

bostero77

Jun 21, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    hello TB'ers,

so, i will be taking an Ampeg SVT II (non pro) to Argentina.
    The amp currently is set for US voltage and i'd like to know what is the best way to use is Argentina (220 Volts, 50 Hz).

I can always use a transformer but these things are a huge, noisy and HEAVY. If you are moving this amp with a 4x10 the last thing you want is more weight to carry...

I've heard that you can easily swap the voltage in the modern svt's. Not sure on this one...
    Anyone has any experience with an AMPEG SVT II?

the serial number tells me is a 1991 model.

thanks in advance!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Very good question. I'm going by fuzzy memory of what the chief engineer at Ampeg said a couple years ago, but some of those power trannies came with dual voltage hookups, and most of the SLM SVT's since the mid-90's have them, I believe. You would likely have to take it to a shop if you don't know how to do it, though. And I don't know if the II non pro has a dual voltage tranny or not because it's their second earliest SVT, but I'm thinking that you probably have to replace it.

3. Panek

Panek

Mar 20, 2009
    Warsaw, Poland
    I live in Poland, and the only amp that I own is an early '70's Acoustic 370 that I use an external transformer for, specifically a toroid transformer rated for 1000W. Handmade by a polish company that I found online, made for use with lots of stuff from the US like power tools, etc.

It's large, but it also depends on how you define large (mine fits in one hand), heavy (bulky), but not noisy at all. The stuff I have to move at a gig is the head (which weighs a ton), a 2x15 cab with no wheels (don't ask), my Precision Bass in a hard case and the transformer. I just put the little guy in my cargo pants pocket and go. When I hook it up all it makes is a very silent, low frequency buzzing sound, and you really have to put your ear against it to hear it properly. It also doesn't interfere with the sound in any way. I use it at rehearsals, gigs and during studio work.

I haven't had issues with the amp not getting enough power. In fact, it's got too much power, but that's an Acoustic for ya! I suggest you look into getting a transformer.

4. bostero77

bostero77

Jun 21, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    thank you guys for the tips!
    a great bassist from australia shared he's experience with his svt 2. If my svt has the same transformer it could be easily swapped to 220v changing some connections. not that im going to try do it myself but at lest know when taking it to a tech.