1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US and A. View from Sweden.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Linkert, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Hello.
    My name is Robin and i study media in collage (if that makes sens, diffrent collage systems..) and this is the image we swedish people get from varius medias, both Swedish and American.
    As a media student i don't belive anything i read or see in the media untill i get inside info or science.

If you Americans could fill out Formula 1 and 2 so i can have some insight of whats realy the case.

# Do the people of the US like George Bush?
    - [Insert your answer here]

# Are the people of the US scared?

# Are the people, and government, greedy?

# Does the US government hate their own people?

# USA has no sort of logic what so ever?

# Why so much Canadian hate?

#Do the people of the US believe everything the media puts out?

[​IMG]

How much of this picture is true? I want to know your experiences from the US healthcare system.
    (Yes, i have seen SiCO but i don't belive more then the medicine prices.)

PS. This thread is serius reaserch. Pleace no off-topic or flaming of anybody.

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    lmao, the banner at the bottom is "Learn Swedish Like a Secret Agent" haha.

Anyway, I'll translate a bit into easier-to-read english.

* Formula 1:

# Do the people of the US have any self-control?

# USA has no sort of logic what so ever? (I'll leave this. Relatively true ;))

# Why so much Canadian hate? (This is also fine)

3. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Haha. Thanks.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I can smell the awesome already! :D

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I have no idea what you're trying to represent with the pic. I also don't have enough experience with our health care systems to have a strong opinion about it. My experiences have been positive.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Haha you and me both.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    - No, have you every been to an Old Country Buffet or Orlando?

- Republicans love him, Democrats hate him

- Only when the alert is raised to Orange or Amber or you are parked in the white zone and when "not packing".

- Hell yes, it's our God given right, we take what we want!

- No, why hate your food supply?

# USA has no sort of logic what so ever? (I'll leave this. Relatively true )
    - False- We have our own agenda as long as it fits what we want at the time and it's under the name of God or the party representing him.

# Why so much Canadian hate? (This is also fine)
    - I think that has to do with South Park and Avril Lavigne.

- Only if it's on Fox or CNN, it's not in our nature to question what God tells us to do through other people who speak for him.

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I don't get the picture?
    Is that Charles Manson?

Healthcare is killing us like Manson wanted to?????
    :bag:

9. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Yea. Or, denying your right to live.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Something ain't right about this thread.

11. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    What is that then?
    The thing that realy got me started to ask this is one of my teachers, Ted. He is allways making jokes about how bad the US is. But he seems to be serius.

12. I've seen your threads Maki, and you're questioning this one?:bag:

:D:D;)

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

As much as anyone else from any other country. Which is to say, very little.

Personal feelings toward any politician, positive or negative, are always the sum of the mass of propaganda put out by a politician's supporters and his enemies.

The typical American is less scared of anything than people of nearly any other nationality. This is not necessarily a good thing.

All people and all governments are greedy

# Does the US government hate their own people.

The U.S. governement is MADE of their own people.

It has as much as anyone else. Humans are inherently emotional rather than logical.

I don't know anyone who hates Canada. The premise of this question is false.

The public veiw of the media, overall, is one of overwhelming distrust. In fact, our current president has much higher job approval numbers than the media does.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The combination of your English (which is pretty good considering it's a second language :)) with your collage (alongside your version of college) just makes this whole thread a little off. It's like milk the day after the expiration date. Probably ok, but kind of weird.

15. That is ridiculous.

16. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Haha. Yea i know, i wasn't very thurall.

17. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I think this is too broad of a question. There are many Americans with plenty of self control, and there are many Americans without it, but most, I imagine, fall into the middle... we have self control on some things, and not so much on others. This forum can be seen as evidence in a lot of ways... some folks absolutely must have the latest/most expensive gear, regardless if they need it or not, while others are more than happy with more economical instruments and accessories, and I would venture most of us fall into the middle... moderately-priced gear... but peoples' wants and needs differ greatly from one person to the next. In any case, there's no standard in America as to how much self control one must have... which I imagine is true in Sweden, as well.

# The people of the US likes Bush?
    -
    Well, he has a base of support, and a group of dissenters. I believe his approval ratings--what the American public thinks of the job he's doing--are pretty low right now. This suggests that most Americans are not happy with him. The numbers have fluctuated over time (as they do with every President), but have been on a steady decline for a while, to the best of my knowledge.

# The people of the US is scared?
    -
    This is another hard one to answer. There are plenty of things that concern Americans... a slumping economy, healthcare, Social Security/Retirement, national security, the War in Iraq, and about a million other things. I think the general confidence of Americans right now isn't as high as it once was. Are we scared? I don't think it's gotten as far as that, yet, but that's just my opinion.

# The people and goverment are greedy?
    -
    I don't think that Americans are necessarily greedy. There's a lot of consumerism, yes, and the culture is definitely one of a competitive nature for many of us. It's the "Keeping up with the Jones'" mentality... many of us strive to have the best things available, and to out-do our neighbors. There's a desire to have the best damn lawn in the neighborhood!

If the government is greedy or not is up for debate, but I, personally, have a reasonably bleek outlook on the people in government, and tend to believe that the people in it often are.

# The US goverment hates its own people?
    -
    I don't believe this is true at all. The government doesn't always do right by the people, but the government is made up of human beings... imperfect by nature... but I don't believe that there's a hatred in the government for the people. It's done some pretty awful things to the people in the past, but I don't think it comes from a position of hatred, anymore.

-
    Logic in regards to what? The government and the people tend to have similar logic in most ways... they each do what they feel is best for themselves/their families/communities/country. If doing everything possible, within ethical boundries, to secure the best possible lot in life for yourself and those around you isn't logical, then I'm not sure I know what is.

Sure, people and governments both make rash and stupid decisions from time to time, but I don't know that it's a failing of logic that causes that.

-
    I don't ever really see any hate towards Canadians. I live pretty close to Canada, and have had the pleasure of knowing a number of people from north of the border. Personally, I don't have an opinion of people I don't actually know, so I'm not going to like or dislike someone because they're American, Canadian or Swedish or a Fin or anything else.

I don't believe the government has any hatred for Canada, either, for what it's worth.

# The US people belive everything that the mass media spits out?
    -
    No.

[​IMG]

How much of this picture is true? I want to know your experiences from the US healthcare system.
    (Yes, i have seen SiCO but i don't belive more then the medicine prices.)

I'm not sure I get what the picture is supposed to be showing. Doctors sit at desks, and have unusual writing implements? I believe that many doctors own desks, and that the healthcare industry supports the ownership of desks in general. They usually use pens, and the belief is that their handwriting is horrible... I know my doctor's is.

Is it that the healthcare industry is bureaucratic? I'd say that it is.

I'm one of the many Americans currently without health insurance. I'm healthy, though, and have been my whole life. Should a healthcare emergency come up in my life, I expect I would get treated, but would certainly have trouble with the medical bills.

PS. This thread is serius reaserch. Pleace no off-topic or flaming of anybody.

18. Sniff Sniff...........I smell politics. Whacky European, left wang, bomb throwing, America is stupid politics :rolleyes: :meh: :confused: :rollno:

19. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    If the sico movie shows the truth then the healthcare system is denying some peoples right to live.
    Not saying that i beleve what sico shows. Thats what this thread is here for.

20. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Europe is big, Sweden is small. Havent been in a war (other then saving finnish ppl from russians in WWII) for about 103 years.
    The left wing aint as bad as people think. Lots of quality services for "free" with tax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.