US Big Muff Pi Tricks ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tapabass, Sep 14, 2005.

1. tapabass

Aug 19, 2005
    I just bought a US Big Muff Pi and if I turn up the volume any higher than 8 o'clock it puts out a terrible sound like a badly blown speaker , I need more volume out of this pedal than this bare minimum , any suggestions ?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How are your other two settings?

Also a possibility that you have a loose connection somewhere. Did you buy it new?
  3. tapabass

Aug 19, 2005
    I bought it new last Saturday at the Guitar center , I have the sustain all the way up , about 5 o'clock and the tone all bass at 7 o'clock .
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I can't put my tone past 10 O'clock and my sustain past 1 O' Clock on my ruskie big muff. Those are some insane settings!
  5. tapabass

Aug 19, 2005
    I e-mailed electro harmonix for suggested settings , they advised to turn the sustain as high as I could handle and the tone to a slightly bass setting , 11 o'clock . I tried that , no dice . I also tried running it through with my wah instead of the fx loop and it sounded even worse . I am starting to think I just got a dud and should return it this Saturday .
  6. You put your Muff in your effects loop? :confused:
  7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I can do a sort of woofy acoustic-style fuzz with mine if I turn down the signal going into it....
  8. where do you put yours?

(might be a stupid question... but why not in the effects loop?)
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Put it inline from your bass -> Muff -> amp input for best tone.

Your bass and the effects loop put out different volumes, i.e. instrument level and line level and therefore the effects will act differently.

Try removing all effects and running the bass straight into the input through your Muff. Should sound fine.
  10. tapabass

Aug 19, 2005
    I tried running it bass - wah - muff - amp input , no dice , in fact it was worse . So I tried bass - muff - amp input , still the blowed out speaker sound if I turned up the volume at all here . In the effects loop I could turn the volume to about 8 o'clock before it crapped out , it's going back to Guitar Center Saturday . I've invested entirely to much time on this piece of equipment and have never been able to get it to work , I've heard other people's muff and they sound good , nothing like the one I got .
  11. alexa.

Jan 31, 2011
    Tone: 0
    Sustain: 0
    Volume: 12, or wherever your unity lies.

Something really unexpected.
    I was pleasantly surprised.
  12. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Turn the volume on your bass down. It sounds like you could be sending too hot a signal to the pedal.
  13. alexa.

Jan 31, 2011
    that was 5 years ago.

I just wanted to share a "trick" and didn't
    feel like opening a new topic. :D
  14. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Agreed. What you're experiencing is not normal!
    Any setting besides high volume should not give you a blown out sound...unless you're running on a crappy combo that can't handle it.