1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US Citizen inquiry about Dual Citizenship with Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Well I am a US Citizen right now but was wondering if anyone can give help me out with a question. I have done the usual google search and much to my dismay, Google had not done a satisfactory job of answering my question, so I seek first hand answers or help.

As said, I am a US citizen and was wondering about acquiring Dual Citizenship with Canada. What the requirements would be, if any. What process I would have to go through and how I would go about getting it done, and so on. I am not really sure if there is much more that needs to explained than this, it is kind of self-explanatory. If any more information is needed, I would be happy to provide it, and any answers to my question would be great. Thanks.

Matt

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
  3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

You are intending to move to Canada? You have to live in Canada for three years or more in order to apply for citizenship.

I have two friends that have dual American/Canadian citizenship. Both of them were born in the US to Canadian parents (their parent's are only Canadian citizens). You can get it via naturalization if you move to Canada.

4. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    In today's global political climate, I can't imagine obtaiing dual citizenship with any non-US country is easy. I guess I don't understand why you'd want to pursue it and have to deal with dual taxation, etc.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Being British, there's no way I know of for me to get anything BUT dual citizenship here. There's no way I know of to give up my British citizenship, not that I'm in any hurry to do so

6. As I said, I did the standard google searches, but thanks anyway.

Well, I do plan on moving to Canada, but I just figured with a dual citizenship if I ever decided to move back to the US I wouldn't have to worry about it.

7. Indeed.

The U.S. frowns on dual-citizenships. They always have, so obtaining one is rather difficult.

8. Geoff St. Germaine

Doesn't this mostly only happen when you have another citizenship and you get US citizenship? I do know there are some countries that will revoke your citizenship if you take citizenship in another country, but I didn't think that the US did. I could be wrong.

9. Geoff St. Germaine

I haven't seen people living in Canada who have dual citizenship paying any US taxes. Where have you seen this dual taxation happening? For instance, Canadian citizens living abroad do not pay Canadian tax.