US Coast Guard Helicopter down during rescue mission

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John Deppel, Dec 9, 2004.

1. For those of you who don't know, I'm currently stationed in Kodiak, Alaska in the US Coast Guard, and I just received some really bad news.

One of our rescue helos was assisted the CG Cutter Alex Haley for a japanese container barge that had become dead in the water and was drifting towards an island in the Aleutian chain near the island of Unalaska. While one of our helos based out of Air Station Kodiak was hoisting crew members off of the ship before it struck land, they lost enging power and went down in the water. They were attempting this rescue mission in severe weather conditions of heavy rain/sleet/snow and winds gusts up to 70 mph. 6 people, including 2 crewmembers (one of whom is a good friend of mine) are still reported missing. We also now have 2 more helos as well as a C-130 searching for the missing members.

Some time after the rescue helo went down, the container barge they were assisting had broken in half, and spilled it's entire fuel load into the water. 2 crew members that were remaining on board were still aboard when the barge broke in half. They are also still reported missing.

Tomorrow is not going to be a good day at work at all. Adm. Jim Olsen will be visiting both the Air Station, and my unit, the Communication Station, as we were the ones who received the may day call. The Coast Guard Commandant is also on his way here and is expected to arrive Saturday.

My thoughts and prayers are with the 8 missing members and their families.
  2. thoughts and prayers from me are also with them.

heres to hoping for some good news soon! too many bad things seem to be happening right now.
  3. Geez Can this day get any wurse

This day suxs I've already had a bad day enough as it is hearing news like this doesn't make things any better

Hope they find the survivours
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    John, my thoughts and hopes are with you and the friends & families of those missing. I do hope they are all found safe & sound.

Something else that needs to be said: We all make it a point to thank those that serve in the armed services in the US, but most people don't take the time to do the same for those in the USCG. You guys go out and lay your lives on the line to help those on the water, and to help protect our nation's coastline.

Thank you, and all those that serve in the Coast Guard with you. It is a very tough and necessary job, and all too often overlooked by those that you serve.
  5. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I've only seen footage of Coast Guard rescues of crab fishermen and stuff... Even at my most hooah period of my life would I ever attempt to fight the sea. You guys have got a rough job... Sorry.
  6. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1 on that.

People forget that the USCG is one of the armed services and that they are serving in IRAQ as we speak. The Port Security units are some of the first units mobilized and sent over seas during war.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys and I pray that the everyone is ok.

Thanks for the work you guys do. It always gives me a good feeling when I see a CG Dolphin or SH60 fly over our boat.

You guys rock.
  7. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and remarks. Especially you Gard, that made the morning better with everything going on right now.

Currently we are waiting for first light out here, to survey the actual damage at the scene. We have two more CG Cutter en route to the scene, to relieve the Alex Haley as On-Scene-Commander.

Apparently, there are still two people aboard the vessel (Saladang Ayu). One is the Master of the vessel, the other is a CG rescue swimmer. They have established a comms schedule with the RS. The six persons in water are still reported missing. All were members of the vessel crew. The crew of the H60 were all accounted for, but currently in Dutch Harbor, AK receiving medical treatment.

I'll post more information as it becomes available (provided it's not classified).
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I do not like water one bit, so I have alot of respect for you guys. I always watch those storm stories of at sea rescues, and I think to myself these rescue guys are something else. I don't think that job is something anyone can do.

I hope everything works out for those involved. I just saw the report on the Seattle news.

9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how sad :(

i hope everything turns out OK

you guys are true heros
  10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    God bless you and your associates for everything you do for all of us.
  11. We just received the first (of many, I'm sure) Press Releases regarding the vessel incident.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I always watch when they show footage of you guys doing what you do and shake my head thinking how insane it looks. Best wishes searching for the ones still out there.
  13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    My thoughts and prayers are with those who are lost and with their friends and loved ones.
  14. Just to give everyone an update that's pretty much as final as it's going to get.

CGC Alex Haley is departing the scene on Saturday. CGC Sherman and CGC Sycamore have arrived to relieve the Haley in their duty as On-Scene-Commander (OSC). The cause of the downed helo was a 30 ft. swell that occured when they were lowering to hoist the final 2 members off the barge. The swell simply came up and took the helo down with it. The search has also been called off for the 6 missing crewmembers. They expect to find the bodies in the wreckage, as there is no way they could have survived this long in the frigid waters.

All other information related to the incident is currently classified, until they are ready to release it to the media.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.