us fender hot rod static-buzz issues

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass4820, Jan 6, 2005.

1. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    ok so i have a U.S. fender p bass with the p and j pickups, and i can't seem to figure out what the problem is and why i get a slight pop when i touch the strings, bridge, volume or tone knobs, screw on the pickups, or the poll pieces.
    i even taped over the poles with electrical tape. so thats not the prob.

I took of the pickguard and it looks very similar to the other post about the static squier, heavy shielding on the pickguard, and also a non-conductive spray on the inside of the knob cavity.every wire looks good, and fuctions perfectly. :hyper:

Do i just have noisy pickups since they are single coil? i don't have any lights or electronics that are creating the hum nearby either. help is much appreciated! :help:
  2. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    A single coil pickup would not cause a "pop". Hum yes, certainly around heavy electrical activity from another source.
    The only time I heard a "popping" noice was when my electronic wiring was shorting by rubbing on an adjacent wire which was not properly insulated. When the bass was pushed or pulled or poked, it would cause the wires to touch. No stress on the wires, no popping. Try directly poking around in the wiring with an insulated poker and see if you can reproduce the popping. Thats the only way I found my problem.
    Good luck.
  3. It's possible that you could have a grounding issue with your home wiring. If you haven't taken the setup to another place and checked it yet, you might want to do that. You'll need a place with electrical wiring that is properly grounded.
    I have older wiring (not properly grounded) here at my place, so I made sure that I grounded an outlet here in my practice room. Without the ground, certain bass/amp setups will produce some noise, and definitely the little pop you hear when you touch the strings. That sound is the instrument being grounded by YOU.
    If the amp isn't properly grounded through the A/C supply, you could be at risk or in danger if something were to short within the amp. Instead of going to ground, it would ground through you and your bass. Ouch..

4. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    thanks for the info, i will hopefully be able to figure it out. it almost makes it unplayable, since i play bass as a career, these things are major probs. but hopefully it will be fixed, thanks again!!
  5. That's what it sounds like to me.