1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US G&L JB-2 or Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harlon, Jan 10, 2008.

1. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    I know - another this vs. that post, but I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what I should get. I want some good, classic rock tones that cut through a studio mix well. Are these two a wash? Or would you prefer one over the other (ignoring the price difference)?

Help!!

2. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Never played the Geddy since I am a lefty but love the JB2

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Get a USA JB-2 if you can.

4. cotton

cotton

Nov 12, 2007
    I have to chime in and recommend the Geddy, especially for the tone you are looking for. I haven't played the JB-2, but I've never seen anything like the neck of a Geddy Lee.

5. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    G&L everytime

6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    If you can lay hands and ears on both, decide for yourself.

Both have a good Jazz sound but the Geddy has one of the thinnest necks around, the JB-2 is the same nut width but doesn't feel skinny to me like the Geddy does.

The G&L, IMO, has a better bridge and better tuners. For me the standard Jazz shape is not an ergonomic fit although 99% of bassists seem to be OK with it. So JB-2 for me.

Soundwise a wash. My JB-2 does a wicked modern Geddy sound through the Sansamp.

Fanboys will chime in for their favorite even if they have never heard of much less played the other choice. :scowl:

The Geddy has an advantage that, if you are inclined to modify the bass, far more gadgets are available for it.

Pricewise a used JB-2 goes for about the cost of a new Geddy. Buy a used JB-2, don't like it, resell and get a Geddy.

Jim

7. G&L, no question.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021