1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD US G&L SB-2 w/Tone, Black/Maple/Black

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by StuartV, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I really want a new 6 string and I haven't played this bass in forever. I haven't played a 4 string in forever, really. And I have a beater P bass that plays well and sounds good, for just in case. So, it is time to stop hoarding.

This is a U.S.-made G&L SB-2. The neck is a 1.5" nut.

It came to me bone stock. I decided I wanted a Tone circuit. I took the stock wiring harness out and completely replaced it with my own circuit and controls that give it Master Volume and Tone on one stacked pot, and individual pickup volume controls on the other stacked pot. I could have just used a Blend pot instead of the individual volume controls but then it would look funny (to me) having one stacked pot and one regular pot. I used all 500K CTS pots, so the overall impedance remains the same as the stock setup with 2 x 250K pots (thus preserving the ability to achieve the exact same tone as stock).

This SB-2 was a custom order with maple board, black body and matching headstock, and no dot inlays on the fretboard. It does have black side dots, though.

I took the stock wiring out as a complete assembly, just by unsoldering the pickups from the pot lugs. So, it could be put back to totally stock just by resoldering 4 wires. I used CTS pots, vintage cloth wiring, a Switchcraft output jack, and an Orange Drop cap in the stuff that I put in. I will include the stock wiring harness, assuming I can find it. If you want, I will even put it back to stock first, and include the "custom" wiring harness and knobs separately.

It will come in the hardshell G&L tolex case, made by G&G. The case is a little beat up, but all the hinges and latches are in good shape.

The bass is in mint condition. What looks like a possible mark in the belly cut in the last picture is a reflection.

$750 via PayPal covers shipping in the OHSC to the CONUS. $700 cash, in person, takes it home.

This is the bass I used to "prove" (to myself, anyway) that an SB-2 sounds the same as a "real" Fender P. I posted this poll thread with recordings of this bass, plus my '66 Fender P, and a Fender P with an Allparts neck. More people picked the SB-2 as being the '66 P than actually picked the real '66.

P vs P-like: Can you tell the difference?

20140101_123124.

20140101_123151.

20140101_123218.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    That's a beauty! Any interest in trades? BTW,it's funny to see you in VA-weren't you a Vacaville guy?

3. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Ha ha! I was in Roseville for 18 months, then downtown SF for 6 months. Then moved here to VA for my job.

The only trade I would really consider is a 34" scale 6-string with at least a P pickup in the neck position. The only basses I know of that fit the bill would be a Peavey TL-Six or a Kiesel/Carvin Roy Vogt Signature Vanquish 6 (which is what I'm aiming to buy when I have sold enough gear to pay for it).

4. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Well, I don't have any of those-GLWTS! Don't think it will take long to sell.

StuartV likes this.
  5. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Thanks!

6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    weight?....:)

7. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I KNEW that question was coming! :) I will have to weigh it tonight and report back. It's definitely not heavy.

8. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Man these are awesome, what year was she built?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  9. Mongo Slade

Mongo Slade Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Northern New Jersey
    Pm sent

Peace

10. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm not home yet, so no weight, yet.

I do not know when it was made. If you want, I can email G&L to try and find out. But, past experience tells me they might take a while to respond.

I have already had a couple of offers. I must have missed the memo on SB-2s being in high demand! Anyway, since I didn't say so before, if someone wants to meet in person and pay cash, I would take $700.

11. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    That is sweet looking, like the unmarked maple board.

12. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Where in Va?

13. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm in Manassas. Just a bit outside DC.

And... the bass is on hold pending payment.

14. Hello! Anyone know where this bass is? I'm interested.

Thanks!

John