1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US Kramer with EMGs loosing signal, little to no output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, Sep 28, 2013.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Just lent a friend my P-bass since his bass cut out on him. I offered to look at his bass while he borrowed mine:

It's an 80s Kramer bass with EMGs in a P/J configuration. It's US made and a set neck, so I assume it was a high end bass in it's day.

Plugged into an amp there is little to no output. You can hear when I tap the pickups with a screwdriver.

My passive Fender Jazz Bass is at least double the volume.

I bought a brand new battery that tests 100% on my Batt-o-meter, but when I put it in the bass and test the battery through the Batt-o-meters 1/4" plug, it reads that the battery is <40%.

Any ideas? It has a 3 way pickup selector and that seems to function with my barbaric screwdriver tap test.

Does it sound like a wiring problem or pickup failure?