Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US Lakland DJ sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 17, 2006.

1. This was discussed in a thread about a week ago. There was confusion about wether or not there was a US DJ model. I heard a while back from Steve Barr that there was indeed a US DJ.

Well just for the record, I saw and played a US DJ 4 string this past weekend. The Atlanta Bass Gallery has one, in black. Great bass.

Just wanted to add some light to this issue.

Too bad the the store owner couldnt have cared less that I was in there (sadly, this happens a lot to me, as I guess salesmen dont see a 22 year old as a serious buyer). Missed out on a speaker cabinet sale, but Atlanta Discount Music treated me GREAT, and I ordered a Berg HT210S none the less.

2. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA

Normally they are very friendly. Must have had a lot on his mind.:meh:

3. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i'm saving for a DJ , and what i've read is that they offer a Skyline Version of the DJ on store..
    but you can put an order directly to lakland and they'll make you a USA Dj... and you'll pay the price for it...

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id imagine itd be quite pricey.

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. List price on a USA DJ4 is @ $4400, IIRC. :eek:

6. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Actually, the 2006 price is $4,600. But that's retail. You're not going to pay retail. Ask a dealer for a price quote - it won't be that high.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Sorry about your experience at Atlanta Bass Gallery and Jim. Jim is a great guy and I consider a friend, but like me he runs his own shop with no real employees. So trying to handle everything can be tough. Also some people don’t like to be bothered and want to check things out at their own pace and no sales guy standing over them… like when you go and look for a cars on a lot. On the flip side when you want help sometimes people wondering why no sales guy wants their business…. Its not that, but you can’t have it both ways unless you speak up and tell someone. I know I hate it when I’m looking at cars and sale people come running out… but then when I want to see inside something I look around and think, what no one wants to make a sale… I’m at fault as well.

Just keep in mind that Jim is a one man store and if you deal directly with Jim and let him know you are interested in something particular he will give you full attention and is very knowledgeable. But like me, if your looking and just checking out things, he has other things to take care of as well being a one man shop, there is way to much to do.

Best of luck,

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    This has been my experience with Jim also! Great guy!

9. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    atlanta bass gallery just posted pics of their dj4 usa. they're asking 3100.00 for it.

10. Yeah, it'll only be about $3400 :rolleyes:

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Don't like the price, don't buy it.

12. [​IMG]

I don't plan on getting one, but thanks for enlightening me. The Skyline DJ4 on the otherhand... mmm, candy apple red with a matching headstock and maple board. That's too good to pass up.

13. Hey Smash, if you ever wanna sell that DJ5 to get the US model, PM me, ey? ^_^

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I wish they still made DJs and JOs in CAR. :crying: Unfortunately, the only Skylines still made in CAR are the Dunn and Hollowbody.

15. Quartersawn hand finished neck on the USA. Flatsawn satin/matte finish on the Skyline. Pretty sure USA Laklands have nitrocellulose finished bodies, and I would guess they can be more selective about woods in general at the Chicago shop. Hardware may be slightly different as well. I spoke with one of the fellas at Lakland back when I owned one and he told me the biggest difference between Skyline and USA is in the necks.

16. I undertsand what you are saying, I really do. However, even though Im only 22 Ive had plenty of music store owner/salesman experiences. After 25+ basses, a number of amp/cab changes, I know how to read when someone is expecting to do business, and when someone is not.

Im not down on the guy at all. The store was VERY impressive. Just a bit perplexed that he wasnt more interested in putting some cash in his pocket. I had a bass I was open to trading for a cab, so he could have come out that much more on top to boot.:p

17. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

I understand. You might try again, but this time Call and talk to Jim. Ask the best time to come up and tell him you have a bass to trade in on a cab and also your interested in maybe buying a Bass. That way when you walk through the door and tell him you called he knows right off that you want his attention and your not there to just look. I know my self, first thing in the morning or until after lunch, things are tough for me trying to catch up on everything from bills paid and paper work done and basses boxed up. I work about 18/7 so many times I'm catching up on things, I even took care of or calls I made late the night before at home after office hours..... heck its Sunday noon now and I'm at home answering e-mails ... guess I need to go see the wife :smug:

My point is, give Jim a chance, he is a good guy and we all have busy and/or bad days.

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    Difference between USA and Skyline- I'm not so sure the USA's are sawn on the quarter anymore. Last I checked their website they were saying flatsawn.

I don't believe Skylines have graphite in the neck. The biggest difference I've found though is that I haven't seen a Skylines as light on average as the USA pieces. That isn't important to a lot of people though.

19. The Lakland Website currently specifies quartersawn maple for USA basses, including the DJ. Also 5-string Skyline basses now have graphite reinforcement.

20. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I think you're wrong about the finish. AFAIK, they have a polyester finish. At least that was used on the 4 4-94s I owned.