US made Ampeg SVT Heritage 50th Anniversary SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnieggg, Jul 18, 2019.

1. johnnieggg

johnnieggg

Jun 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Looks like an american made blueline/SVT VR! What I have been waiting for forever :) Seriously thinking of replacing my old US made SVT CL.

Ampeg Heritage 50th Anniversary SVT

joker820, Bones1450, fjbass78 and 7 others like this.
  2. johnnieggg

johnnieggg

Jun 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Call me an idealist if you will. I don't think foreign made gear is worse than their US made counterparts. But there is something to supporting a local economy and community. Without getting too political, I hear so many complain about stagnating jobs and wages, yet buy cheap products made elsewhere, which feeds the cycle of lost jobs. I don't think its patriotic per se to buy US made gear, but I do think it helps our fellow men, women and neighbors, so they can earn a living wage. In turn, perhaps they can buy something that you happen to be making on a daily basis in your day job. For example the beer served at the local bar where you happen to be playing tonight so you can get a bigger share.

3. johnnieggg

johnnieggg

Jun 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Funny thing I was starting to think I was cheating on my old jazz bass with my mistress, which is not even a bass :) I got this mesa mark 5 35 as a gift to myself and my Les Paul this summer.

Please don't hate me! :)

Attached Files:

GregC and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  4. johnnieggg

johnnieggg

Jun 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    In fact, lets post an OBD, Old Bass Day! This is my much beloved 2005 75 reissue jazz bass. The SVT is stuffed into a closet so can't really snap a photo.

B39A4A20-3637-457A-A4F5-DF97AE8BDFCD.jpeg

5. good luck with that. You don't get to preface your views and expect no blowback.

johnnieggg likes this.
  6. johnnieggg

johnnieggg

Jun 24, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Fair enough. Just got caught up in the moment of seeing my favorite bass amp brand releasing something I had highly hoped for.

Rebel Rocker and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Me too! The 50th Anniversary SVT is the amp I really, really want.

8. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Actually, you could until about 25 years ago when everyone started listening to 30-second sound bites on talk radio and cable news channels and decided they were political science experts.

Hopefully this thread will be restarted and can continue with going “there”.

rodl2005 and 1960jbass like this.
  9. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I think it's cool and all, but I'll keep my 69 and 87 Skunk.

What's wrong with your CL that a little time with a good tech won't fix? By all means pony up the cash, but $2,700 is a lot of duckies to spend replacing a CL with another SVT...and there are things a CL will do better.

greengoblin, slugger and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    How would this differ from a current CL? Sound wise? I've seen many guys over the years say that the modern CL doesn't sound like the old (late 60s) heads. Is this even true? Is it that drastic of a difference? My CL does sound really good and do does my 2 pro.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nothing at all wrong with the CL. I have one and I have a 69, too. If you dime the master and use gain to control volume, the CL sounds identical to my 69's channel 1. But with the 50th and the VR, you get two channels that you can use for cool things like blending tones or clean/dirty effects setups. Some folks may disagree with me and that's cool, but I'm happy with any of them.

armyadarkness, P A U L, GregC and 5 others like this.
  12. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit

13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I've been doing the master vol thing, definitely sounds better to me!

JimmyM likes this.
  14. PrinceByTor

PrinceByTor

May 25, 2019
    Spokane, Wa
    Two things that have me scratching my head is the tubes and arrangement. According to the Ampeg website, Ampeg Heritage 50th Anniversary SVT, it has 5 12ax7s in the preamp instead of just 3 of them and 2 12au7s like the VR. Also the power tubes are supposedly Ampeg Super Valve 6550s. I wonder if you’ll be able to buy these tubes for replacement or to put in an old amp.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm sure the tube arrangement is to make channel 2 more appropriate for bass, as opposed to the originals and the VR, where channel 2 is usable on bass with some boosting of the bass knob but voiced better for guitar. And this is the first I've heard of these Ampeg branded 6550's, but they've likely rebranded some other make of tubes, although I don't know what tubes they're using or if they'll sell them on the aftermarket.

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Some facts and some supposition.

The original SVTs used three 12DW7 in channel one, one 12AX7 in channel two, and one 6C4 to blend the two channels. All of these tube types have two triodes, except the 6C4 which only has one triode. All nine triodes are used.

A 12DW7 is equivalent to one 12AX7 triode and one 12AU7 triode. A 6C4 is equivalent to one 12AU7 triode.

During the MTI era, a mod was implemented to convert the 12DW7 circuits to 12AX7 tubes. It's only a matter of replacing a few resistors. Many players claim they can't hear any difference.

The SVT VR has the same functionality as a vintage SVT, but it does not use the same signal path. In a vintage amp, the signal flows in channel 1 sequentially through the two triodes in V1, then the two triodes in V3 and finally the two triodes in V4. V2 is the 12AX7 used for Channel 2.

In the SVT VR the signal in channel 1 flows in and out of various 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes. Here's the order: V1a, V2b, V2a, V3b, V3a, V4b. Since the VR uses three 12AX7s and two 12AU7s, ten triodes are available, but only 9 are used, just like the vintage amps. The unused triode is V1b. V5a and V5b make up the gain stages of channel 2, and V4a fills the role of the 6C4.

I don't know how the 50th anniversary amp was updated, but I suspect that it has the same signal path as the SVT VR. Modding the amp to run only 12AX7s would involve updating the circuits consistent with the MTI era mod to run 12AX7s; in other words changing a few resistors. Revoicing and changing the gain structure of channel 2 could also be achieved by changing the values of a few components.

Everything I have written on the 50th AV amp is an guess, but if Ampeg was going to do a more extensive mod, I would think they would have added a mid range control to channel 2 rather than simply revoicing it. In order to truly give the amp a second full featured channel, two additional tubes would needed to drive the extra circuitry. Only time will tell how close my guess is.

As far as the Ampeg tubes. I would be very surprised if they are anything that you can't already buy with a different label.

The thing I am most excited about is the Heritage 810 with the AV grill cloth. I have never really cared for the black color scheme.

17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Looks nice!

Wisebass likes this.
  18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi johnnieggg :)

Replacing?

wise options - blank - Copie.jpg

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

19. Oh baby, sign me up.

One of these for the rehearsal/gear room, fix up my CL for gigs.

20. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make.

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    It's encouraging to see a new product such as this in production. It's funny they don't list the weight in the specs on the splash page. You have to download the manual to see. I guess if you have to ask...

Meanwhile, I am absolutely digging my brand new V-4B and SVT-212AV! Gigged them four times and looking forward to the next one.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    jdubbass38, tuckerllc and Bones1450 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021