Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US Masters EP-5 Anyone played one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Jul 8, 2004.

1. I've been looking for a 5 string, at a very leisurely pace I might add, since the beginning of the year. A Peavey Cirrus or a Bongo are the two top considerations right now, but yesterday I noticed the US Masters EP-5 at Musiciansfriend again. www.usmasters.com

I like P-basses, but a P-bass 5 string would be right up my alley.

The reviews sound pretty good, but as we all know must be taken "Cum grano salis." ;) http://harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/U-S--Masters/EP-5-01.html

For $699 (no case) it seems like a pretty good bass for the price. Plus I like the simplicity of one pickup, and the P-bass tone.

So, has anyone played one, or own one?

Any info/comments appreciated.

Mike :)

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Hey Mike,

I had one. It was a lefty and frankly I was not too happy with it. This is all my personal opinion of course !!

I found the neck to be VERY wide and long. It's a far cry in my opinion from a P-bass as far as getting used to it. The scale length is 35" and you maybe looking more for a 34" as far as playability. I have 2 35" scale 5's and I'm done with them. I have a 34" 5 in the works currently.

I thought the P pickup which I believe is an Armstrong or Lawrence was lacking bigtime in the lows. The low B just did not sound very strong to me and was buried against the other strings. The preamp is a simple EMG preamp with a fixed mid-frequency. I was also not too impressed with it as I think a Bartolini or Aguilar might have been a better choice in that bass. That would drive the cost up as well however.

On the other hand, the bridge was great, body was super-petite which is cool for a small person like myself though it was a bit heavy, the finish was great, Sperzel tuners were awesome !!

I'd say go Bongo or Cirrus. People are really raving about those Cirrus basses being of excellent quality for the money. Stick with those 2 and you'll be much happier.

Again, my $0.02 !!

BTW, I returned my USMasters and got a refund.