US Senate votes to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hoover, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 'bout time. I know it won't happen but I'd laugh if there was a US Military coming out party :D.
  2. This is a double edge sword trust me. I have a close family friend that was gay in the military. As much as I personally believe a person has no reason to hide their preference, this is going to mean a good deal more bars of soap in the socks at boot camp. The military isn't an open court like civilian life and they take care of things (or brush things under the rug) as they see it appropriate.
  3. im all in favor of a dont care policy on this matter.

not apathetic to the issue, i feel the govt should not care about the sexual orientation of the military.
  4. rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    About time. Maybe the ignorant fools who hate gays for no reason other than that a book or their parents told them to will actually gain a realistic, non hateful view of gays.
  5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Some US military commanders quoted in the news have referred to distractions that can be caused by gay troopers in a war zone.

Then, on the other extreme there are those that did not volunteer to serve in the military, or serve with US forces in combat-that choose to shout their personal opinions on 'gays in the military' from the highest civilian rooftop.

It's easier for some of us to relate to the potential distraction factor for men/women in US combat units rather than the problems of reinventing of protocol and/or regulations for our troops worldwide?
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Atlanta, GA.
    I highly doubt it will be a long time. I think it's really just a matter of the older generation dying out.
  7. Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    It's more of a thread on laws governing the US Military.

I don't think that's political, even if it was politicians who passed the law.
  8. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    i dont understand the correlation between older people farther out from major cities not approving of a particular demographic has to do with the makeup of our military. also, our country is based on a lot of things, one of which is religious freedom. this book you are picking and choosing from also has plenty to say about slavery, and its not particularly current.

a gigantic +1

some people will start to get it, and some people never will. no one has the right to serve in our military. you certainly can be denied. i dont think there is going to be a mass exodus due to this policy change.

from what ive gleaned and heard from friends that have served, a good soldier follows the chain of command. assuming the commander in chief signs off on this, it would be a direct order. perhaps we can weed out the soldiers that cannot take an order, or who are so concerned with prejudice that it becomes difficult to perform their duties.
  9. One thing most here don't seem to understand, and that is under the Uniform Code of Military Justice (as well as all militaries worldwide) a subordinate is obliged to obey a lawful order from his superior. Here's a scenario where a squad is on patrol, and a couple of soldiers are openly gay (the names are hypothetical, of course):

Sgt. Smith: "We need someone on point. Recommendations, Cpl. Anderson?"
    Anderson: "Sure, Sarge. Send Jones here on point."
    Sarge: "Jones, you're on point! On the double!"

Now in a column of troops, the pointman's job is to draw enemy fire. Sgt. Smith and Cpl. Anderson know Pte. Jones is gay, so he'll get point duty every time. And Jones can't disobey without consequences, since it's a lawful order.

This is why I'm against being openly gay in the military. My point is that gays will always get the dirtiest, most dangerous jobs, like digging latrines or getting a stuck H-bomb in a bomb bay unstuck.Now I'm not gay, and I personally have nothing against them, but if I was a gay young man about to join the military I'd damn well keep my mouth shut.
  10. Whoa... are you serious? Could any TB military men confirm this? That sounds horrible... :scowl:
  11. Kwesi, I was in the Canadian military myself, back in the mid 1970s, and I can assure you it was like that back then, not only in the Canadian military but in all militaries that I know of. I'll admit I can't really say for sure if things are still like that nowadays, but knowing how things were back then I'd be surprised if things have changed much, if at all.
  12. jp58

jp58 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2009
    That's really sad.
  13. Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Realistically, this would only happen when the people in charge don't like gays, which is becoming less prominent (I hope).

If the people giving the orders are blatant racists, the gays wouldn't have a problem. Same with if they had a strange dislike for people taller than them, or with glasses, or even if they just didn't get along with someone under their command.

At least, that is what I would assume. If the person in charge is gay himself, there would be no reason for it to happen at all. But yes, it could cause problems.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Does one join the military because of the unique opportunity it presents allowing individuals to showcase who they are, or is it that environment where individuals are broken down and transformed into teams of cohesive soldiers?

Have things changed there or something?
  15. knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
  16. EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    that would be a soldier's personal choice instead of a policy mandate.

i remember when DADT was created by clinton. i remember thinking how crazy it sounded. this is the world's biggest military and its imposing a policy that sounds like it came from an elementary school playground. i am surprised it took this long to get repealed, but i look forward to seeing how things play out. what if.... the military just keeps on doing what's its doing.... nothing's changed.
  17. EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    p.s. IMHO, mamatt has been quoted enough. can we ignore that comment now?
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I don't think gay soldiers are interesting in "showcasing" who they are. My guess is they're tired of covering up every single thing related to their sexuality in order to avoid losing their jobs.

Straight soldiers, on the other hand, have a bit of a history of flaunting their sexuality.:D
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Now that homosexuality is permissable in the military, I expect the military to whatever it needs to do to make the policy stick. My father was in the military during the early days of integration, and he satisfied enough to make it a career. Racism certainly did not die, but the military made being an open racist jerk unacceptable for unit cohesion. They can do the same thing about sexual orientation.

As for those who say soldiers should keep their sexuality secret, I say hogwash. It is never the duty of the oppressed to make a bigot feel comfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.