1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US Soldiers Remains Dumped in Landfill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It sounds bad, but reading the article they make it sound like these soldiers did not get a proper burial. That's not the case, later it makes it clear that these are body parts from soldiers that were not included in the caskets or could not be identified to be placed with the bodies. They were then cremated, incinerated and the ashes were put in the landfill. Im not saying it couldn't have been done in a better way, but thats some pretty sensationalitic journalism - the article could have been a lot less biased.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's true, but handling bodies is so sensitive that it makes sense to bend over backwards.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I agree with Mark. It was mostly body parts they couldn't find a home for due to damage from explosives etc.

This country obsesses with the dead way too much. It was just body parts they couldn't find a home for unless they did millions and millions of dollars worth of DNA testing (paid for by whom?) if any DNA still existed after the damage.

My hat goes off to all that sign up for duty, but this is nonsense.

5. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Unfortunately, this is typical of current news coverage, purely sensationalism with a heavy bias ..... happens on both sides every day. I will need to go back to find the original story from the first time I heard about this, but it isn't like they were taking torso's or full limbs to be cremated and dumped. The majority of the remains were things like portions of a finger or a small section of skin that couldn't be matched up to the rest of the remains (which all received appropriate handling), usually due to significant damage to the unidentified parts.

This, and about 1000 other reasons, is why I can no longer tolerate the way the media presents itself ....

6. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    If you want to facepalm even more then read the comments on the article on that site. :meh: :atoz:

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    This is basically the reason why I no longer follow the news.

8. I can see why it isn't "that big" of a deal and agree the article is sensationalized.

But, why weren't the remains all buried together and marked in memory of those who sacrificed their bodies for their country?

9. Sensationalized jouralism or not, human remains are very sacred to a lot of people, especially soldiers who died in the line of duty. I wouldn't want this being done to a fellow firefighter who died in the line of duty. There's going to be a huge lawsuit if/when they find out whose remains those are.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +1

Sensationalized or not, it's still careless and insensitive.

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Suppose one of your loved ones gets in a severe car accident and dies in the emergency room after being worked on for some time. The hospital staff will move the body to another location for preparation according to the family's wishes. Eventually the body will be buried or cremated.

Do you really care if there are a few bits missing that were cleaned up in the ER and put into the bio-waste pile for incineration? Of course not.

Same thing here, except some journalist wants to get people angry about the military mistreating soldiers and the result is this story.

12. Bingo.

We're talking about unidentifiable (even using DNA analysis) bits of skin and organs. We're not talking about arms/legs/torso size pieces.

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    If the bits are important enough to bring all the way back to US soil, they're important enough to get some reasonably dignified treatment.

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Unidentifiable, also known as medical waste. Cremated and disposed of. Do we create The Tomb of the Unknown Colon™?

15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    No. Just dispose of it in a substantially more respectable fashion than in a landfill, something commensurate with the reason these service members got their body parts made into unidentifiable bits.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Just think about all the unidentifiable remains that were left behind in hostile territory! Oh for shame!

Thats the treatment that the identified remains were given, yes? Why the need for a second go just to acknowledge the bits and pieces?

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    What second go?

18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    You do know the actual body got a proper funeral, right? Why do we need to have round two for Jimmy's pinky finger?

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, its my understanding that the bodies of the soldiers(minus the unidentfiable remains) were given proper funeral rites. Is it really necessary to acknowledge the soulless bits and pieces as well?

I really like this comment posted on this (more complete) article:

Air Force dumped ashes of more troops’ remains in Va. landfill than acknowledged - The Washington Post

20. I understand your sentiments and I partially agree; however, the remains of a firefighter is not a fair comparison to dealing with thousands of unidentifiable body parts from thousands of individuals.

I think this is just another journalistic attempt to color "the warmongering Right wing Bush cronies", i.e. anyone who votes republican, as not "a true American". It's just biased journalism.

They should be ashamed of themselves, IMO.