Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US SR5 & SUB5 Differences ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Oct 29, 2004.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Well, I'm thinking about ditching my 5502 for either a MMSR5 or possibly the SUB. What are the principle differences? Is the pickup the same in both? I see that the SUB is only available with an active 2 band as an option as opposed to the standard 3 band in the US model. What about fit, finish, tone and playability -- especially the B string. I'll be auditioning them soon but thought I'd get the heads up from you all.

Thanks.

2. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    im not sure aboot the mm, but for the SUB, i have a sub5 and i love it. I think i may have got lucky, and got one with an ultra tight B string with absolutely no buzz, and the active mm pickup is absolutely astounding. great lows and nice stingrayish-highs/mids. it's a great bass, sorry i cant help you out with the other one as i haven't played one. :)

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've played both and currently own a maple boarded ray5. If i was going to buy another Ray5 cept w/a rosewood board-i would have to think long and hard about SUB5 or Ray5. Here's why....

The SUB5 i played felt, sounded, and looked great. The main things that would make me want to spend the additional money to get a regular Ray5 would be: neck finish-i really dig the oil, body finish-i like the burst finishes a lot. Beyond that-as in from sound, and playabilty/construction points of views i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

If you have a chance-play one of each [at least] and decide for yourself.

That's all

4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I think I'll really be digging the finishes of the standard Ray more and I'm really not a fan of the Mr. Potato Head pickguard used on the SUB. But, considering price, I could almost buy 2 SUB's for the price of one Ray. So, guess we'll see. I'll probably hang out and see if I come across any deals as I'm currently recording and don't want to make the switch right in the middle of sessions.

Thanks a bunch. Good stuff.

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Ray5 also has a 3 band EQ and a coil magic switch.

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I find that I actually prefer the SUBs (I've played active and passive 4's and the 5, plus the 3-band Sterling SUB) to the new StingRays I've played. I had a real hard time getting a warm tone from the '92 ash/rosewood Ray I owned for several years.

When playing the SUB 5 I sometimes found myself missing the 3 band EQ and pickup switch of the 'Ray 5, but for $750 new you could have some money leftover for electronic upgrades.

I for one find the Sterling/SUB/StingRay preamp kinda harsh--I preferred the warm, thick tone of the passive SUB the best of all. You can get a lot of fat, almost P-basslike tones from its passive treble and bass controls. I'm thinking of finding a used one and putting in a series/parallel switch.

If you can get past the styling (and are considering a new Ray 5), by all means check out the Bongo. Its playability, craftsmanship, and versatility are remarkable. You can get a tricked out 2-pickup Bongo in all sorts of crazy finishes with 4 band EQ and piezo bridge for about $1500.

7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    My experience from playing the SUB 5 is that the SUB 5 sounds more like a Stingray than the Stingray 5... with the two-band EQ and pickup set in classic Stingray parallel mode, you get that classic old-skool 2-band Stingray 4 tone but with the extra low B - something the Stingray 5 can't do. I prefer the looks of the SUB 5 as well, with the proper Stingray-style chrome surround for the knobs and oval scratchplate. One of the things that put me off ever wanting a Stingray 5 was the huge expanse of scratchplate and the fact you can't really take it off due to the controls being mounted on it.

Russ :bassist:

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got a black 2004 SUB5. I should be putting this in classifieds...and I'm sure I will but here it goes. I'm selling for $500.00 shipped to the lower 48to pay for another bass. Comes with new Gator Hardshell case, pickup has been replaced w/SD basslines but original pickup included. Pickguard is custom black/white/black with original included. Don't have pics but I'll get some if anyone is interested.
    -Bazz-