US SR5 & SUB5 Differences ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurt M., Oct 29, 2004.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Well, I'm thinking about ditching my 5502 for either a MMSR5 or possibly the SUB. What are the principle differences? Is the pickup the same in both? I see that the SUB is only available with an active 2 band as an option as opposed to the standard 3 band in the US model. What about fit, finish, tone and playability -- especially the B string. I'll be auditioning them soon but thought I'd get the heads up from you all.

2. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    im not sure aboot the mm, but for the SUB, i have a sub5 and i love it. I think i may have got lucky, and got one with an ultra tight B string with absolutely no buzz, and the active mm pickup is absolutely astounding. great lows and nice stingrayish-highs/mids. it's a great bass, sorry i cant help you out with the other one as i haven't played one. :)
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've played both and currently own a maple boarded ray5. If i was going to buy another Ray5 cept w/a rosewood board-i would have to think long and hard about SUB5 or Ray5. Here's why....

The SUB5 i played felt, sounded, and looked great. The main things that would make me want to spend the additional money to get a regular Ray5 would be: neck finish-i really dig the oil, body finish-i like the burst finishes a lot. Beyond that-as in from sound, and playabilty/construction points of views i'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

If you have a chance-play one of each [at least] and decide for yourself.

That's all
  4. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Yeah I think I'll really be digging the finishes of the standard Ray more and I'm really not a fan of the Mr. Potato Head pickguard used on the SUB. But, considering price, I could almost buy 2 SUB's for the price of one Ray. So, guess we'll see. I'll probably hang out and see if I come across any deals as I'm currently recording and don't want to make the switch right in the middle of sessions.

Thanks a bunch. Good stuff.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    The Ray5 also has a 3 band EQ and a coil magic switch.
  6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I find that I actually prefer the SUBs (I've played active and passive 4's and the 5, plus the 3-band Sterling SUB) to the new StingRays I've played. I had a real hard time getting a warm tone from the '92 ash/rosewood Ray I owned for several years.

When playing the SUB 5 I sometimes found myself missing the 3 band EQ and pickup switch of the 'Ray 5, but for $750 new you could have some money leftover for electronic upgrades.

I for one find the Sterling/SUB/StingRay preamp kinda harsh--I preferred the warm, thick tone of the passive SUB the best of all. You can get a lot of fat, almost P-basslike tones from its passive treble and bass controls. I'm thinking of finding a used one and putting in a series/parallel switch.

If you can get past the styling (and are considering a new Ray 5), by all means check out the Bongo. Its playability, craftsmanship, and versatility are remarkable. You can get a tricked out 2-pickup Bongo in all sorts of crazy finishes with 4 band EQ and piezo bridge for about $1500.
  7. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    My experience from playing the SUB 5 is that the SUB 5 sounds more like a Stingray than the Stingray 5... with the two-band EQ and pickup set in classic Stingray parallel mode, you get that classic old-skool 2-band Stingray 4 tone but with the extra low B - something the Stingray 5 can't do. I prefer the looks of the SUB 5 as well, with the proper Stingray-style chrome surround for the knobs and oval scratchplate. One of the things that put me off ever wanting a Stingray 5 was the huge expanse of scratchplate and the fact you can't really take it off due to the controls being mounted on it.

Russ :bassist:
  8. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got a black 2004 SUB5. I should be putting this in classifieds...and I'm sure I will but here it goes. I'm selling for $500.00 shipped to the lower 48to pay for another bass. Comes with new Gator Hardshell case, pickup has been replaced w/SD basslines but original pickup included. Pickguard is custom black/white/black with original included. Don't have pics but I'll get some if anyone is interested.