1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

US Standard Precision - lowering action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rethink, Oct 4, 2008.

1. rethink

rethink

Oct 4, 2008
    Hey all, my first post here (hopefully its in the right place)

I've had US standard precision for a good few years now, and after all these years of playing it its been fine... I recently played a friends P-bass and the action was perfect whereas mine is a little higher ....id really like to get my action lowered ever so slightly

Some people have said to me "just adjust the truss rod", however, unlike a sqiuer there is no visible key hole to adjust the rod on my bass ...(if indeed that is the best way to lower the action anyway ?)

I've tried playing around a little with the bridge, but I understand adjustments at the bridge are mainly for improving intonation ...is that correct ?

If somebody could point me to an on-line guide or explain to me what im supposed to be doing , that would be fantastic

anyway, thanks guys

2. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125382

Welcome aboard. This link is a "sticky" which stays at the top of the Bass Guitar -> Setup & Repair forum. Give it a gander and see if it helps.

I bet your adjustment for the neck truss rod is where the neck meets the body - if this is true, it will be a tad more annoying to adjust it. But I bet it could use a tweak or two if you've never done it; neck maintenance is very important to proper setup.

3. rethink

rethink

Oct 4, 2008
    thanks for the reply, the articles seem very much geared to making sure your bass is set up properly i.e. no warping and good intonation and great though that is, my situation is a little different, I have no warping and my intonation is just fine, its just that I want to lower my action slightly ?

Will this mean that potentially, I will have to introduce warping, to achieve a lower action ?

ps, i found this, which may be of use to some P-bass owners looking for video adjustment guides

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/46259_fender-bass-intonation-adjustment.htm

4. Okay, think of it like this: Your strings and your truss rod are at war over your neck. Each wants to pull it in the opposite direction.

If your strings won the battle, your bass would look more like a candy cane, right?

So tightening the truss rod COUNTERS the pull of the strings. It's a very strong and fine-tunable system, so you can adjust it just so.

Tightening the truss rod will result in flattening the neck a little more, which will result in the strings lying closer to the frets, which will result in lower action. It's a little more involved than this, but you get the idea.

Most necks should have the tiniest bow in them to allow for strings ringing true without bouncing off the frets when plucked. It's very hard to see the curve unless you look straight down the edge of the neck and compare it to the E string.

Absolutely make sure your neck is adjusted properly before messing with the action. When it's time to work on the action, the two set screws on either side of each saddle can be tightened or loosened to lower or raise string height.

Don't mess with the big screw holding each saddle in place - THOSE are for intonation, and for another day.

HTH

5. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    1) Adjust the height of the individual string saddles
    2) If step one doesn't fix it due to introducing buzzing in a specific part of the neck, you may then need to tweak the truss rod.