US Std Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Hi,
    Any help would be appreciated. I've got a 1996 US Std Precision. While I prefer the sound of a Precision to other basses I still have niggles with the sound. In particular I can't get an even tone across the strings.I realise this is partly an inherent problem with P's (bolt on neck, split p/up) but other players don't seem to have this problem.
    Should p/up hieght be even across all four strings? I've seen every combination of p/up hieghts on other basses and never really figured out which is correct. Or would new bridge or p/ups help?

Many thanks in advance
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I had that problem with my J Bass, which is a '97 MIA.I changed pickups and that helped quite a bit ( went to Bartolini's.) But it did not completely take care of the problem. Some experimental tweaking of pickup height was also needed and it is now pretty consistent across the strings.Not as consistent as my '75 P (original pickups) but enough so that it is not a problem.
    BTW, my J is a light ash body.Is your P light ash by chance???
  3. Hi Dave,

This might be a stupid question but how do you tell what the body is made of?

I have fitted some EMGs to in the last few days which has helped but maybe I'm being too nitpicky. Obviously the fact that one half of the p/u is closer to the bridge will affect it. Perhaps I should accept that it is an inherent Fender/bolt-on problem. I had a 77P which was a hell of a lot worse.

Thanks for getting back
  4. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I have the same problem with my basses. I am thinking about reversing my P-bass pickup so the bass side is closer to the bridge. I don't know if this will fix the problem but Leland Sklar did it to his bass and he sounds great on all the recordings I have heard.
  5. The fact that the treble side is a mite closer to bridge does not significantly affect the sound. Balanace is contolled by the distance of the PU from the stings. the P bass split PU is one of the most flexible there is from this point of view. Experiment.

I have a 96 P bass too. I recently changed from Thomastýk Infeld to D'addario Slowounds, which I am experimenting with. And gues what. I had to adjust the PU to get a good balance...

The fact that the bass has a bolt on neck does not affect balance in any way.

6. biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I would disagree. The pickup height would affect each string's relative volume but not the tonal balance between the strings. The E and A strings tend to sound darker and the D and G strings sound brighter. This is usually very evident when you compare an E fretted at the 7th fret on the A string with an E fretted at the 2nd fret on the D string.
  7. You are right. I didn't read the post properly.

True, but that's string thickness to a great extent...
  8. I probably didn't make it entirely clear what I meant. The main effect I'm describing is that when playing with a drummer and guitarist, if I go from the E to the A the bass sound just drops out relative to the guitar and drums. Obviously it is worse on the D and G.
  9. Then, Andy, it is quite possible tha I gave you the 'right' answer accidently!! :) The PU should hump up in the mniddle to follow the camber of the strings...if your A is lower in volume than the E, raise the PU...

Or have I misunderstood yet again.....

10. Hi,
    No you haven't. I'll give it a try.