Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

US World Cup team -vs. Grenada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Frijoles Negros, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I'm 100% behind the US national team

That said, did anyone see the trainwreck that was US vs. Grenada pt 2?

Good lord, so much of the game was against Grenada's team being a man down due to a red card. Plus, Grenada was soundly defeated in the first game.

WTH?

Our midfield couldnt win a ball for crap and the strikers seemed to repeat the problems seen in the World Cup teams of 2002, 1998, 1994 of not being able to pull the trigger and get it in the net. Too much setting up, too much dribbling in the box.

Mexico is looking good. 10-0 victory. Wow. Can't wait till we play them.

edit- most of Grenada's team were amateurs too. One guy plays for the English premier league.

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Honestly in those conditions, there was nothing to be learned from that game. Once the US scored early, it seemed like the intensity drained from the US side. The US's quality advantages were negated by the bizarre field conditions. Granada played a spirited match, but need to score like 8 goals to win. Thankfully no one was hurt.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So US won? hmm... I was waiting to see another US-Iran-like match... The US team were said to be the best by all American newspapers, with the best goalkeepr of the world, as they said, and along comes Iran, without much reputation, quite underrated, and beats the US 3-nil... hahahah that was funny :D :D :D
    I see the press at least learned a lesson know and kept a bit morre quiet...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Who was that then?

I looked on the net and found the following :

"Most prominent are strikers Jason Roberts (Wigan, English First Division) and Delroy Facey (West Bromwich, English Premier League). Other England-based players on the World Cup Qualifying roster include Dwayne Lee (Exeter City), Tony Bedeau (Torquay United), Ashley Sestanovic (Sheffield United), Craig Rocastle (Barnsley), and Alvin Bubb (Aylesbury United). "

West Bromwich Albion were actually in the first division this season and not the Premier League - that is the division below. As far as I know, he has never played in the Premier League?

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    You're research is correct, Bruce. I beleive there were some Granada players who played Professionally in Inger-land, but none in EPL.

6. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Mutant, I know not to which game you refer. While the US has had it's share of embarrassing losses, I can not find any mention of a loss to Iran 3-0 against the best keeper in the world (to whom do you refer?) when the US was heavily favored, in a match that counted for something.

US lost to Iran in the disastrous 1998 World Cup campaign, 2-1, but was not featuring a renowned (at that time) keeper, nor would they have been considered a heavy favorite.

Iran is a respected footballing (soccer) nation among those that pay attention in the US (most of whom would fit comfortably in a mini-van).

:confused:

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry if i mixed things up, but I'm not a soccer fan - nor of any other sports, I prefer bass and music to any other matches, anyday. ;) The last time i watched a match was about 2 years ago, when Manchester United came here to play an anniversary of a historic game, and they lost 1:0 to zalaegerszeg... It was nice to see those mcuh-proclaimed, big-mouthedly advertised "gods of football" fail ;) :D

This here was about 4-5-6(?) years ago. There were several articles in Newsweek that said the US team is the best, how great their keeper is, etc, all this stuff, quite overconfident and arrogant about how they will win, and then on their first match they were beaten by Iran. Heh. :ninja: I just love American press :rolleyes: I love even more when arrogance and priggery is punished by failure and shame.
    There's a saying - dont drink for the bear's skin (before the hunt)

8. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Edit- i decided to do some research - looks like this guy was right after all.
    striker Delroy Facey, who plays for West Bromwich Albion, which has been promoted to the English Premier League.
    link

re-edit- I actually missed it in Bruce L's post.
    "and Delroy Facey (West Bromwich, English Premier League)"

9. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Well we all take different angles. I also like seeing the opposing team lose as much as the next guy. The politics of that game sure were thick and it was nice to see, what i remember, a very spirited game. Even better was the friendly exchange after the game.

I do think that there will be predictions and statement on who wins and loses as long as there are bookies and armchair sports fans, no matter what country they are from. I dont think that America is unique in this issue.

10. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I hope youre right.
    I just keep thinking - theyre one man down - we cant win in the midfield- we cant pull the trigger.

It just reminds me of the other world cup teams.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But Delroy Facey has never played in the Premier League - West Browmich Albion will be in the Premier League next season.

Often when they get promoted, teams will buy up new players as they get more money from TV - and clear out the ones who played in the lower league - there is no guarantee he will ever play in the Premier League...:meh:

12. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Ok ill buy that.