1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA 62 RI P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the blast, Mar 23, 2009.

1. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Are ALL of these American made basses finished in nitrocellulose lacquer? I know the current ones are. What a bout the one's from within the past 10 years?

Thanks,
    -john

2. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I am pretty sure that the Amenican Vintage reissue guitars and basses have a nitro lacquer topcoat over a polyurethane undercoat.

That's why they don't age as quickly as the "all nitro" instruments.

3. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Ahhhh, great info. Thanks.

If any of you guys care to share how much you got yours for, I'm curious as I may be in the market for one. Not too sure yet but mulling it over.

Best,
    -john

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I got a 62 RI P-bass that my old man paid $650 for used last year, but he knew the guy.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I paid $500 US for my brand new VS '62 Precision in Lake Placid Blue. But that was way back in 1983.

jte

6. I picked up a new Oly '62 AVS for a $1000 from the local Guitar Center a couple months back, and that included the brown tolex case and most of the candy.

7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I paid $850 for my "62 Jazz

8. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Wow, 1000 seems like a really great deal! I think if I found one in OLY, locally, I'b all over it.

Best,
    -john

9. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I paid $1499 for mine new in September of 2008. It is a great bass...best non-Custom Shop Fender I have owned.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you can find one at GC you can probably get a good deal. I got a deal recently, that I don't think I should post because it was really low. They are trying to clear out old models now to get to the new pricing structure with Fender. I am also very impressed the bass. It's what a P bass is supposed to sound like. It's the only bass that I don't plan to modify.