USA Ampeg 8x10 v.s. Acoustic 404 Transducer 6x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr.Sharkfist, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Hi everyone. On some local Craigslist listings I have the opportunity to get an Ampeg 8x10 USA made classic cab for $300 but also have the opportunity to get an Acoustic 404 Transducer 6x12 cab. The choice was obvious that I should get Ampeg but the reason I hesitated is because I already have an earlier production Ampeg 810e, I have heard the USA made Ampeg classics are better than these but will the sound be that much better. I was thinking maybe the Acoustic 6x12 ($225) would get a different sound to blend with my 8x10 I have already. I use a Fender Bassman 100 silverface head to get a growly and punchy tone that breaks up (in a nice way) for a hard but nice overdrive boost. Later on I'm looking to get a Marshall Super Bass 100 watt to replace my Bassman. I was thinking that the Acoustic 404 Transducer 6x12 would get a nice tone, maybe adding some nice midrange growl to blend with the high end and low end of my Ampeg 8x10. What do you think? Any help or opinions is very much appreciated.

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    individually they are both really cool cabinets, my go to cabinet has always been a 810. likewise been wanting exact same thing a acoustic 612 and just update the drivers for a cool sealed 6x12. as far as mixing the 2 cabinets i wouldn't see the benefit and likewise i dont think the bassman has the right transformer to run that impedance. likewise again my favorite tone has always been a quad of 6l6 or basically a 100 watt tube amp and the only challenge has been getting enough spl to match a loud drummer. i mix and matched various bought and rented cabinets with my older 810 as well and everything came into place and sounded great when i just used another 810. and with another head or something, mainly trailer space when playing tours i wished i could have 4 810s lol. at one time had 3 but its a funky load for one head and the 3rd cabinet had poopy speakers and wasnt working for me.

probably to finally be happy im looking at using 2 100 watt heads and a pair of 6x12. till then over years of playing around with various cabinets the 810 always just seems to work out. it has a few things i do and dont like but thats just the way it works i guess

Mr.Sharkfist likes this.
  3. Yeah I agree with you there. I have the whole impedance problem worked out, I'm using something called a "Palmer Cab Merger" to run them series. I noticed you said that every thing sounded great with another 8x10 and I was curious. Does it really add to the sound? Is there much tonal difference?

4. I'd get the 612, just because.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    for sure man, 16 speakers all matching pumping away. legend lives on my friend. aside from playing in a good band or playing a amazing show aint nothing gonna put a ear to ear smile like that ;)

and it aint all about being blistering mad loud and striking fear in soundman eyes lol. its just a little bit of overhead well alot of bit. and a overall change in presence and allows a little more room for more EQ if needed.

its tough call its just ironic cause you talking bout 2 cabs that really stick out in my head and i pretty much would like a pair off both. 8x10 or 6x12 both sealed and loaded up with a good old 38 ounce magnet 10" or 12" eminence speaker. they both work very well.

depends on cash flow, great thing is you see 810 cabs for 300/400 all the time, acoustic cabs not so much. think pie_man_25 is right . im very much a big blue Acoustic Control fan as well and usually end up finding them not local and need shipping. if you got a good one laying around locally hey maybe pick it up. as far as collecting, if you need something now and looking for more sound pressure and need it to work right away. then a matching pair of cabs is really gonna work. i spent alot of time and money mixing stuff with 810 and another 810 is gonna work the best.

and again same thing i moved to vintage solid state heads to push 2 ohm loads and fought with some svts for bit too to make it a very simple one head 2 cab solution with maybe 1 or 3 pedals at the most. but that 100 watt grind still haunts me lol so working towards either a 150/200 watt ish tube single head with 2 ohm tap or 2 tube 100 watt heads

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Mr.Sharkfist likes this.
  6. Yeah I think you're probably right. The 2 8x10's will work the best. I also like your idea of the 2 100 watt heads. Originally I was going to run my Fender Bassman and an Ampeg V4 together. Using the Bassman for the low end and the ampeg for some midrange grind.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    at one point n time i had a 810 with a svt that worked when it decided it wanted too, and a hiwatt head and 412 cab trying do the same thing. looked cool sounded ok. it was just a big shock when i borrowed another 810 and it was way more volume and consistent tone with just the svt, than using the guitar head/cab and svt/ 810. so i bought another 810 and that was that. likewise for super super sustain heavy overdrive i just used a pedal instead. no clean head this and dirty head that, blending bullcrap. just one head pedal off= cleanish. pedal on= ridiculous overdrive lol. no pedal will get the grind a 100 watt head will give you. lets say a generic " touch sensitive" overdrive on the edge of clean and when i really dig in it breaks up. that kind of distortion only tubes give me. genre i was playing at the time needed super crunch and the pedal worked fine. ive had mega overdrive guitar heads like dual rectifiers and vintage/modern marshall head. but i find preamp 12ax7 distortion actually rather annoying and in recordings it dont sound much better or worse than pedal overdrive to me. riding on edge light/medium grind only a tube amp can get. likewise with the marshall i didnt use alot of preamp overdrive. i just pushed the krap out of the 50 watt kt66 pair. weird purple anniversary head it sold quickly and i dont really miss it.

best 100 watt grind ive heard for bass is the good old humming silver face bassman 100's, vintage V4B ampeg, and the krappy sunn model T reissue head that came out for guitar awhile back. its no where near a real model T its just a basic 4 x 6L6 tube head and the overdrive channel worked well for bass. again not for preamp distortion just the tone stack on the drive channel sounded better for me and i would just push the output section easily

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    Mr.Sharkfist likes this.