usa bob glaub neck choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iggy, Jan 22, 2006.

1. iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    I currently play an american fender deluxe jazz bass, have so for the last 7 years. Now I'm jonesin' for a usa bob glaub precision for my arsenal. Will outfitting the glaub with a jazz neck take away from it's fundemental sound? or "bastardize" the look and feel of a classic P? I know this is a subjective question, but since I'm used to playing with a jazz neck,1.5width at the nut,will the extra width and chunkiness of the standard 1.75 feel uncomfortable or be a hinderance to the way I play now? If there's anybody that can relate to my situation, please post.
  2. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I wouldn't switch necks..they might not even fit eachother. You'll get used to playing the other size neck. It just takes some time to adjust. It's exactly the same thing when someone plays a 4 and then decides to switch to a 5 or 6er.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You'll be fine. IMO switching the neck will defeat the purpose of spending so much on such a nice bass, the fretwork on other basses would not be as good.
  4. ... i think he meant buying the bob glaub with j neck dimensions???
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with buying a Glaub with the J neck dimensions. It won't affect sound really, and many people find J necks more comfortable, which is why Lakland offers the option of ordering the Glaub with either P- or J-style neck dimensions (1.75" or 1.5" respectively).

As for looks, only a seasoned bassist will notice the difference.

Pick whatever neck is more comfortable for you -- comfort is pretty important when you're spending upwards of $2k on a bass. I think you would almost certainly eventually get used to the P neck unless you have really small hands, but why start out with a new bass that feels awkward if you don't have to?

Personally, I'd love a BG with the J-style (1.5") neck. Too bad they don't offer that option on Skylines any more. :(
  6. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    The previous posters beleive you want to switch necks,
    but in fact i suspect you are trying to decide witch neck to choose 1.5-1.75 when ordering;I have played jazz 1.5's for
    30+yrs;and was faced with the same dilema.I just received my
    skyline Bob Glaub on wednesday with the 1.75 neck and for some reason it's not anything like a fender-p neck;the diference between 1.5&1.75 Lakland seems to be very minimal,just more comfortable,
    easy'er to manoeuvre about with 10" radious,given a little time
    i can't see me playing anything else;i've switched and i'm very happy!!as always try before you commit.:p

ps: anyone need;
    (mij) jazz 62 ri
    D'Marzio J's
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats what i thought would be feasible, the fact that he plays a fender jazz confused me.

I dont think putting the glaub jazz neck on wuld be bad, but dont put a fender neck on.
  8. .I just received my
    skyline Bob Glaub on wednesday with the 1.75 neck and for some reason it's not anything like a fender-p neck

Good point, Wooden. I play both Jazz basses, P basses (USA Glaub 1.75" neck), and a five string. Comparing the Glaub 1.75" neck with a Fender P neck is apples to oranges. Lakland's neck is more comfortable. Something you might want to consider....

My personal preference is..if I'm gonna have a P bass, it's gonna be "all" P bass...that's just me though YMMV.

I don't think the front to back width is going to be an issue, just fretboard width. also, how well do you respond to neck changes. With a Lakland, the difference is negligible

9. iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Woodenteeth, is the transition between J neck feel and P neck feel something that takes time to get used to or was it comfortable right off the bat? Can you still do your fast J chops and not miss a beat?
  10. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I too am sorry that Lakland no longer offers the BG Skyline with a J-carve neck. I had decided to purchase one, only to find they no longer make them. This is a lost sale report for Lakland.
  11. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Iggy,let me put it this way,I play blues and country
    rock,got my Glaub wednesday played friday & saturday night;
    We play a lot of shufles and swing,I brought the Glaub with
    no backup and did just fine.for me the transition was comfortable right away;as far as j-chops and not miss a beat,
    same songs same band;this is what i did; there's a Lakland
    dealer in Toronto near me,i went and tried a Glaub but they only had 1.75,way better than i expected so i went home and gave that a lot of thought,subsequently found a great deal on a new one, Laki dealer in PA,no waiting and candy apple red:)

hope this helps
  12. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Unless you have a chance to try a Glaub with a 1.75" neck, and therefore KNOW you'd feel perfectly comfortable with it, I'd say go with the 1.5" J neck. There's absolutely no shame or "bastardizing" at all -- Fender abandoned the 1.75" nut width on its American Precisions over 30 years ago! So what if it's not like a 1960's Fender? That way, you'll be assured it will be comfortable, and thus have less anxiety about spending your $2k. (Don't worry about resale either; USA Glaubs with the J neck do quite well.)

Even though some have said that the Lakland necks are more comfortable that Fender's, which might be true, you might be able to find some Fender '62 or '57 American Vintage models with the 1.75" nut width to give you an idea.

I played mostly a Jazz for awhile, and was bitten by the P-bass bug about a year and a half ago. I didn't find the switch to the American Series and American Deluxe 1.65" nut width difficult at all, but my J is still more comfortable. I've tried a few with the 1.75" width. They play just fine, and I'd love a '57 RI, but I wouldn't want one of those as an every day workhorse. For some it doesn't matter, but I have smallish hands so it makes a difference to me.
  13. Pindy

Jan 3, 2006
    Guys, if you want a Skyline BG with Jazz neck, get the Duck Dunn model, which looks to be exactly what that model is.

Better dig candy apple red, though...
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    The 1.75" neck on the BG is very comfortable. I still prefer the J taper, but the larger neck is nowhere near as chunky as a Fender P neck.
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    If you're worried about the classic look, you need to do something about that bridge.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO if you're used to the 1.5 Jazz neck, I'd order a Glaub with the J-neck option. That way you can switch back and forth with the least amount of worries.
  17. iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanx Poon and Nedmundo, I think thats what I'll do. The USA Bob Glaub, 3 color sunburst with the J-tapered neck. Oh, by the way, TI flats.