Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

usa cruse basses - owners input

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Aug 30, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well another j bass question - just trying to keep my options open
    i was gonna buy a usa cruise when i walked in and saw my tobias hanging on the wall waiting for me to buy it
    im still toying with the idea of getting a used one
    so from the owners or users out there, what are your opinions on them? how have they held up? and what about the 2-tek vs gotoh contoversy?
    love and kisses,
    ivan

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've never owned a USA Cruise but I've played with them in stores. Gotoh vs. 2-Tek, I don't like the additional weight of the 2-Tek bridge but it's very neato. These basses are as good as USA Fenders (which I have a very high opinion of - I own one and it's great!). You can't go wrong with one of these fabulous jazz basses IMO.

3. 2-Tek here.

The only gripe I have is the hum from the SD vintage pu's. Although they sound amazing so I'll deal.

4. I've had mine for less than a year so I haven't fallen out of love with the 2-TEK yet. You'll have to do a lot of looking (and spending) to find a better Jazz-style bass. When these bolt-on CruiseBasses came out in 1995 or 1996, they received a perfect score from Bass Player Magazine and they deserved it. They look, feel and sound great.

5. I dunno, but my 2-Tek feels pretty light. I'll have to weigh it and find out. I haven't found anything in the used market price range that comes close to beating its playability and tone though.

6. Tajimodo

Tajimodo

Feb 1, 2004
    Shrewsbury, MA
    I find the 2 TEK doesn't add much weight, bass is sitill light, with amazing sustain. IMHO this is the jazz bass that Fender was never able to make--I'd put it up against any Fender made to date!

7. The Thinker

The Thinker Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've owned both (still have the 2TEK).

The Gotoh-equipped Cruise definitely sounds more like a Fender Jazz, but with more clarity, not quite as much bottom, and more "dirt" in the sound (with the stock Duncans).

The 2TEK adds a lot of clarity. I personally love it, but I can't get it to do the thumpy/warm/fuzzy thing very well (in part because of the DM Ultrajazz pickups I installed. If a Ric knocked up a Fender Jazz, the progeny would sound like this bass :D.

The construction and playability make these very tough to beat for the price. You can always swap the pickups if they're not your bag.

8. I doubt I'll ever fall out of love with the 2-TEK. What surprises me about mine is that I am able to get a more authentic upright-like "thump" from from it than any of my other 3 basses, surprising because one is a fretless, one is a P-Bass clone and one is a semi-hollow. I play in a traditional blues band, so that's a consideration for me. When I first got it, we were about 36 bars into our first song of the night when the drummer motioned me to come closer he said, "That bass is something! It sounds really great." After the set, the guitarist said the same thing. I agree with Tajimoto that this is the Jazz Bass that Fender was never able to make.

By the way, a Gotoh equipped model sold for $280 + shipping with OHSC and a Hipshot detuner on the Hamer Fan Club board yesterday.

9. Oy! That is a wildly good deal.

Really! It looks like I made a typo.

10. Jack C

Jack C

Sep 5, 2003
    I picked that one up. I've always been curious to see how a stock Gotoh Cruise would compare to my 2tek with factory EMGs. At that price I couldn't resist. Plus, black Cruises look so sharp. :bassist:

11. One thing's for sure...you won't have to worry about getting your money out of it if you decide you don't like it!

12. Actually another gripe I have is with the pickguard. I have a cherry burst bass with black pickguard. I just don't like th shape of it. So off it went. Looks 10 times better with the guard off.

I've toyed with the idea of putting a fender jazz style guard on it.

13. Jack C

Jack C

Sep 5, 2003
    Hey Joshua (or anyone else) - have you tried wiring any of your Cruises in Series? I've always wondered how that would sound, but my 2tek has EMGs, so that wasn't a possibility.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Had A 5-string with 2-tek. vwey nice 5-string.
    Wish I never sold it.
    It was funky Green color.

15. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Had a 5-string w/2Tek and SD's and found it to be a great sounding and great playing bass. The assymetrical neck profile fit my hand like a glove. BUT, the thing was so damned heavy that I couldn't play standing up for more than twenty minutes or so. Ended up selling it and haven't regretted it.