Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Custom Guitars -VS- Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Nov 11, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am looking at putting together a 5 string jazz. All things being equal, what is the difference in quality between Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars necks and bodies. I am not worried about price or customer service (as far as I have heard, both companies have decent customer service). I am strictly concerened with quality. IMO, quality will equate to great tone and playabilty of the finished product. Thanks!

2. g4string, I have only had experience with warmoth so, I can't comment either way on USA Custom.

I would go with Warmoth!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, to me, warmoth seems to have alot more different woods, neck shapes, fret choices. But USACG do maybe have a very tiny bit better quality and customer support. I'm gonna get a warmoth bass anyway, because they are the only ones that has "my" custom opitons.

-Erlend

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I have heard positive reviews for both, but a friend of mine went with USACG to build a custom Jazz and the quality on his bass was excellent. I have never seen, heard, or touched a Warmoth bass so I couldn't really give an opinion on it, but that USACG Jazzer was awesome.

5. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    The only problem with Warmoth is that they do not make the 4+1 headstock that I want (Sadowsky/Lakland shape not Fender's headstock profile) and I can not get a dinky jazz body in a 5.

However, I can get all of that at USACG. I will say that their dinky jazz body is tad "pointy/sharp" fopr my taste. I will talk with them to see if I can get something inbetween their standard J' and their J'jr (dinky body style).

All this aside, I am leaning towards USACG, but I want to make sure that the quality is going to be there. I want something that can hang with my Lakland 55-94 in terms of playabilty and quality. I would order a Sadowsky but I am purchasing a Bag End PA in a coulpe weeks. So my Sadowsky is a year or two away from a reality.

If I do do Warmoth or USCG project I would roughly assemble and maybe have Roger Sadpwsky put his p/u's in and do a nice set-up/adjustment on this bass. I fugure this would be as close as I could get to a Sadowsky for a couple of years.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I was very pleased with my dealings with Tommy and the rest of the USACG crew. The big plus for me was that USACG would do graphite strips in the neck, and I didn't have to go with weighty aluminun rods, etc. You're probably going to get a split response from TBers, so I'd just call both, talk to them, and try to get a feel for the level of customer service each offers. Of course, if one offers a product that you want that the other doesn't.....then your choice is a little easier! :D

7. I've got issues with the big turtle and lizard.;)

I vote for USACG.

8. The thing about Warmoth that isn't so cool, is that you can't choose the neck shape. I'm not sure why, because you can with their guitars.

9. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Thanks guys and gals for your input. If anybody else has something to say, please chime in. I am especialy curious to hear if some more about quality with these two companies.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey g4,

if you're interested, i've got two bodies and accompanying necks for a pair of 5 strings i was gonna build. course, after i got my Sadowsky, that project sorta got derailed. ;)

PM me if you're interested!

11. g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    jokerjkny, you got PM

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a bit of experience with Warmoth. I just installed a Jazz(?) neck on one of my Fender Jazz basses. The quality was exceptional and the wood is beautiful. The support that I got from Brian Goode when I had an issue brought up here on Talkbass was tops.

My thing is that the Jazz neck feels much more like a P bass neck. It's much wider and thicker than a Fender jazz neck. I went fretless so it's not that much of an issue for me.