Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Custom Guitars vs Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Feb 28, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im looking at building a bass. Nothing fancy, clear finished jazz etc with block inlays on the neck. Not sure of Pup layout. But Im not sure if one company out does the other.
    I believe USA uses graphite in there neck were as Warmoth uses steel. Prices are quite a bit cheaper thru Warmoth for the block inlayed necks since USA would have to send out for it to be done which raises the price alot.

Ive seen the discussions on this before but they were alittle dated.

Any ideas or opinions?

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    why are you stealing my idea!!!!!:D
    im doing just that - waiting for the inlays to get done- but i received the body and its exquisite- i may have to put together a few of these for the shop!!
    [​IMG]
    the guys at USA custom guitars are great!! they are very customer frinedly and i am very impressed with this work--

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually Ive been gassing for one like the GR bass attached. Or even the old ones Essex had. Im not a jazz pup kinda guy, I really like the MM style.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

:)[​IMG]

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Anyone??:bawl:

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I just finished a project with USACG parts (do a search on my name-JPJ to get all of the juicy details, or find my project at the USACG message board). I was very impressed with their work and really enjoyed working with Tommy (Rosamond) who runs the place. They came across as being much more customer-oriented, willing to work with you an an individual to meet your specific needs, and they really like ansering questions and picking out the exact pieces of stock to make the bass of your dreams. I am EXTREMELY happy with how my project turned out (my first time doing this type of thing) and my new bass has now surpassed all of my others as my new #1.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage is that I could get graphite strips in the neck instead of the metal rods that Warmoth uses. As far as I'm concerned, I like options and the ability to get what I want, even if there isn't any benefit to graphite and even if the steel rods are better, etc. I simply don't want rods in my neck, and was put off by Warmoth's unwillingness to give their customers what they want...graphite. If you go with USACG, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Also, you might ask on the forum if anyone else is interested in block-neck inlays. If you can fine another guy or two (or even from TB), you could have Tommy's CNC guy code their machines to do the inlays and split the costs of the setup...thus getting the best parts for only a small fraction extra on the price of your neck.

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hear, hear!! Tommy is awesome- Derek is way cool- and everytime i call i am left with the feeling that they really go out of their way to make the customer feel appreciated- THATS a brilliant way to do business- if this bass turns out well- i will be ordering more for the shop- so i will talk to tommy about the block inlay thing- so far , the ash body is outstanding!!

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I only have experience with Warmoth so I can't comment on USCG. However, as someone who is not based in USA I must say that I find Warmoth's web site MUCH more customer-friendly. It makes shopping for someone like me that much easier. Warmoth also seems to have a much wider selection of woods and body/neck types.

Warmoth has been very prompt in answering my questions, shipping was done promptly and professionally and everything fit perfectly. All in all, I can highly recommend working with Warmoth.

9. Hi
    I've been thinking about building a Warwouth Bass, not seen the USCG stuff though, can someone post a link to their website, tried a search but got US coast guard:)
    Tony

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    here you go..
    http://www.usacustomguitars.com/usacg/

granted, Warmoth has a more extensive site- and their stuff looks very good. Ive heard great things about the products - i will add that i only have this body so far- but it is excellent work.

11. Thanks Adrian, that was quick!

Tony

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    quick is my middle name- just ask the Mrs. :eek:

13. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Adrian,
    You seem to be falling into the same trap that I've already slipped into. When I started my process several years ago (yes, I plotted and schemed for several years before I pulled the trigger), I wanted to do this one time and one time only...planning every detail to perfection and working with only the best people to ensure that I would end up with the absolute BEST instrument possible that met all of criteria that I wanted in a bass. Unfortunately, I am SO happy with the end result and it was so much fun to do that I now seem to be planning 3 or 4 more jazz bass projects...despite the fact that I love the one I have and designed it to be the "be-all-and-end-all" of basses....leaving me without want for another! About the only thing I could change would be to do different color schemes! Bottom line....if you interested in doing a project, I would simply recommend calling Tommy (or e-mailing, as he's very quick with replies) at USACG and talking with him about your ideas, etc. Warmoth does have a more extensive web site, but USACG is just going on their second year after separating from Warmoth, and are so booked with orders that they often don't update thier site for fear of being overloaded with new orders for the new products. However, if you're looking to do something that you don't see offered on the site, ask them, as often times they can do it, but just don't have the product or sevice listed on the site yet.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Adrian, are you getting neck binding along with the block inlays, or just the blocks?

15. beefhaus2000

beefhaus2000

Sep 25, 2002
    New Jersey
    USACG are awesome to work with. I got this from them:
    [​IMG]

as well as a guitar.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    no binding, man- just block inlays. cant wait.