USA custom Warlock bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ocrichie, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ocrichie

Jun 1, 2005
  2. It is a USA made one, Only the basses/guitars that had the Widow headstock has the big "R". The 4 on a side never came with the R, I personally think it would look stupid on that type of headstock.(4on a side)

If you dont know what the Widow is, Do a gogle on the bass or guitar, Sort of a beefed up Warlock, Lots of sharp points.
  3. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I don't think sunburst was ever a standard Warlock finish so that would make it either a custom order or refinished.
  4. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    This is false. I had a Warlock Supreme with a 4 on a side headstock and the m.o.p. inlaid R. The older model Rich's had a number of different headstock options and the logo on them has changed over the years from a simple "R" with a dreadnought guitar within the "r", the basic "R" and finally the B.C. Rich logo. Check out Nikki Sixx's USA made Warlock Supreme:

This Warlock in the auction looks like an old NJ series. It's not worth no more than a couple hundred bucks.

Here are some more headstock options that were available from Rich.
  5. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    absolutely NOT an NJ series. NJ series was bolt on IIRC, certainly didn't come in burst color (as I had one in candy apple red) and the headstock was definitely different.
  6. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    If the headstock says "Made In USA" then it most likely is. I have a warlock very similar to this one but its all white. I posted about it at a BC Rich forum a while ago and got told that it is USA made although not in a "BC Rich" factory. BC Rich went through a phase a few years ago where the licenced other companies to produce BC Rich basses and mine is one of those. Mine was made around 1990 iirc.
    The quality is still very decent. Personally i would pay $650 for it if its what i wanted. Just as a reference mine set me back $1000aus (about $760us) and it was in similar condition.
    P.S The serial numbers are fairly close too. Mine is 90765. So im guessing this is one of the basses in a similar situation to mine.
    Actually after looking at the auction again the similarities are quite astounding so i can say with almost certainty that this bass WAS made in USA.

7. Well, All the 80's Warlocks Ive seen have either had the Mockingbird style headstock and the 4 on a side one. And only the MB style ones had the R on top, From what I've seen, Until they Started making them with the Widow headstock. Besides, Werent all of Nikki's basses custom, I know BC Rich came to him telling him about the Warlock, They gave hime one to play, and then he ordered more as he went along, In some interview i read he said this, He also said he didnt like em as much as the T-bird's either.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Email BCR, they are usually quite forthcoming about giving info on old guitars and basses when they can be. Due to the large number of incarnations of the company they can't get info on every instrument, but its possible that they can tell you when/where that bass was made.

If it is indeed a USA Warlock its probably pretty nice. I had an old USA Mockingbird that was a sweet playing bass, when it worked. Lots of electronic problems, but still a huge jump in quality over all the import BCRs.
  9. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    From my experience they cant give you any information on the "Class Axe" instruments as they were not made by BC Rich. Im thinking it comes from the same "Series" as my Warlock and if it does the electronics problems should be a non issue as the bass should be passive with 2 volume controls a pick up selector switch and a tone knob.
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    They may not be able to give specifics, but I'm syre they can tell if a given instrument was made by BCR or one of the knock-offs.

I would avoid any of the knock offs, particularly Class Axe. I've seen many, many examples of horrid guitar making from those.