1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Usa fender jazz bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cutty, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Hi,i want to change the pickups in my passive USA jazz bass 5 string so i can get a tighter sounding B string,don't want to install any eq,just keep it passive,can you give me any help as to what pickups i should check out?thanks.

2. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    litteraly, tighten the string, you know, the screws in the bridge ;D

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    even easier than changing pickups - install a thicker B-string and by the nature of the physics involved you'll quite literally have a tighter B-string when tuned up to the same pitch

all the best,

R

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you want a bigger sounding B, one that hangs with the other 4 strings, convert those pickups from parallel to series wiring for a sizable low end boost. i've converted quite a few USA fender passive 5 basses this way, and the results are always a more powerful and useful instrument. (the inherent "thin-ness" of jazz pickups is fine for 4-string basses, but there's a big hole in the output of the low B that the series wiring fills very nicely.)

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Unfortunately changing the pickups will not tighten your low B. You can get different strings (not necessarily bigger gauge, because the construction of the string plays a massive role in the tone and feel) or you can try the series wiring for fatter low mids (which may improve the perception of the low B).

6. agreed i was stupid and cheap and got some boomers for my new jazz and they were so tense.....was trying to set the bass up....arrrrrgh this bass sux?!?!?!? as soon as i put the same gauge DR's on... it was fine and had the feel and tension just where i wanted.....maybe try some diff brand single B's till you find a sweet one and get a set....