1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA Fender Jazz - string through bridge - Rotosound LS - E too long?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Predawn, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016
    Hello there!

I have a USA Fender Jazz Standard (string through bridge) and last night I put some Rotosound RS 66LDN (long scale) on the guitar.

Problem with the E string. Too long, the main part of the string is winding on to the post (almost a quarter of the post).

Today while thinking about what the hell is going on, I guess that because the bass is 'string through bridge' and not 'through body' that is why the E string is too long?

So what strings should I buy?!

Get my bass modified to be 'string through body'?!

Do Rotosound only make long scale strings for 'string through body'?

2. Measure the physical distance on your bass between where the ball end sits and where the E string just clears the nut. That's the "winding length" you need.

Then refer to this chart to determine which strings would fit properly:

Electric Bass String Winding Lengths by Manufacturer from BassStringsOnline.com

By the way, are those rounds? If so, I wouldn't be too concerned about a small part the main body of the string riding on the tuner post. It would be more of an issue with flats.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  3. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016

Many thanks for the reply and link!
    By the looks of things, 37" is the standard length of a long scale bass string?
    I got a tape measure and measured my bass, looks like the bridge is at least 1/2" too far up the body?!
    I'm going to have a chat with my guitar tech and see what he thinks.
    Currently the string is winding more than 1/2" onto the post (not good).
    This is weird as I haven't done any mods to it and when I bought it (technically 2nd hand) it still had the clear contact on the scratch plate?
    So I assume it hadn't been modified previously?
    Possibly just a quirk in manufacturing? Who knows?

Cheers!

john

4. Technically it is OK if some of the string winding goes around the post. Just cut the string so that it only does 1 1/2 turn. Done that before.

Your USA Jazz gotta be older than 25yrs old since all the USA Fender have been string through body since the late eighties.

5. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016
    I got the bass via Ishibashi (Japan) and it still had it's clear plastic on the scratch plate, 99% sure it's nowhere near 25 years old.
    Sold as 2nd hand but it was in no way used.

6. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016

ps. I got a reply email from the GM of Rotosound strings! It's an issue they're aware of. The space between the E tuning post and nut (on Fender bass') is shorter than most other brands, so therefore, Rotosound try to compromise.

7. I see, your bass is a Japanese not USA Fender.

8. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... except for the models of USA J's that weren't ... ;)

... '94 1/2 was when the American Standards went STB, which I think you were probably referring to ...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  9. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016
    Says made in USA?

10. Hi There,
    Did you get this sorted out? When I use the standard RS66LD set on my Geddy Lee Jazz part of the E string does wrap around the post but I haven't had any issues with tuning stability. Could it just be a Rotosound thing? I've been using them since the late 80's and really never paid attention.
    Brent

11. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    Quarter of a turn is not a problem. One of my P-basses is string through bridge only and most E strings end up like that. Never had any issue with it.

Predawn likes this.
  12. Predawn

Predawn Guest

Mar 1, 2016
    I sorted something out.. sort of...
    Basically it's ok as it is
    No need to change strings
    I think it looks a bit ugly but then again I'm fussy...

The GM from Rotosound Strings wrote to me saying that it is an issue that they're aware of.
    They have to compromise with their string lengths as the distance from nut to the E tuning peg is shorter than most other guitar makers.