Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Fender Precision Bass Deluxe V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I got this bass yesterday. I love a P pickup sound and i can't afford
    a Lull or Sadowsky P-5. This Fender was in great shape; it looked better than many "new" basses. It had a great B string and wonderful finger sound. The slap would decent also. I played it a long time at GC and asked about a trade, they gave me numbers so low that I made the deal. The problem is that I took the bass home and it has an annoying hum that seems to be mainly generated by the rear double J pickup, and is really bad when the treble is all the way up. It isn't so bad when I am actually touching the strings.

I checked Harmony Central and at least two reviewers noted the same buzz. All I can say is dammit Fender! This is not a hard thing for a manufacturer to fix. The buzz should have been fixed in the prototype stage. The bass has great fit and finish and a great B. Fender is like my child, she will do several things right, and then mess up in way that lets me know she is still a toddler. Heck, I like Fender and want to give them a chance, why do they seemingly always find a way to screw up? I am debating whether or not to get my SR5 back. Music Man is rock solid, the string spacing may be tight but I'll be damned if a Stingray would ever buzz like that.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've tried a couple of Fender PBDV's and also thought they had nice tone and playability. I'm sorry to hear about the buzz. It's surprising, too, seeing as how the bridge pickup is a big bucker rather than a single-coil J. I didn't notice any buzz on the ones I auditioned, but then I usually leave bridge pickups off.

Anyway: I agree that buzz is not acceptable. I hope the situation gets resolved: either the buzz repaired (quickly!) or the deal undone.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Forget that it cost four times as much. :rolleyes: I bet it has no annoying hum!

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Come oooooooon Metro PJs!

If the buzz goes away when you touch the strings, then you probably just need to do a shielding job. If you really like the bass, then it'll be worth the effort ... noise is usually solvable one way or another. Definately weak sauce on Fender's part though.

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks Pickles, I will look into the shielding.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may have to eat my words. Tonight I tried to get this bass to replicate the hum. It would only do it with my back turned to amp midway between my amp and computer monitor. At no other time could I get this bass to hum at all. I also to it to another store and played through an amp and I could get no hum at all. I still don't know if I will keep it. I miss my Stingray and I loved my Stingray's pretty natural finish too. :) That said, this Precision Deluxe V is an incredible tone machine. It has the best fingerstyle tone of any bass I have ever played, and I have played a ton of production and boutique basses in my lifetime. I sure wish I could afford both basses. They would make an incredible duo of five strings. I don't want to commmit a sacrilege around here, but I sure would like to hear my Fender compared to some Sadowsky, Lull, and Celinder P/J basses. I'm not saying mine sounds as good. because I don't know. I'm just saying that if they sound a whole lot better, they are fantastic. Still at $2,500-$4,000, they should sound better than a bass with a street price of $1,250 new. :D :bassist: :bassist: :hyper: I'm still a happy poor man, and if I go back to my Stingray, somebody else will end up with one awesome player. :bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I will also say, that love the wide string spacing on my Fender. I believe the spacing is a full 19mm. I never had a problem with my Stingray, but I really like the full spacing. When I had boutique basses like Roscoes and my old Ken Smith Six, I liked the wide neck, that kind of spacing feel like home to me with my largish hands.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is one just like mine with an alder body and sunburst finish. Th eonly difference is that mine is an older model with the five inline headstock.

9. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Dr. Cheese,

I have only been able to find a Squire V and a MIA Deluxe Jazz V locally to play. How does the neck on yours compare to those.

I find the Squire and Jazz about the same width wise but the Jazz seems a little slimmer front to back.

The P Bass tone you describe seems to be just what I am looking for but I sure would like to play one before I buy.

I also would like a maple fb, I am partial to those.

That aged sunburst/maple fb is giving me serious GAS!!

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194360731

Any suggestions from the doctor on how to get rid of that? :smug:

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The neck profile on that Precision Deluxe V is nice and wide. If the Squier you played was a Precision Bass Special, then it was almost identical to that of the PDV. By the way, I ended up taking that Precision Deluxe V back to GC. The quality of the plucked string when dumbing the thump and pop routine just didn't do it for me. I know that with the choir I don't slap that much, but when I am thumping along with Graham or Louis for relaxation, that tone has got to be right. Unfortunately, GC had already sold my of SR5, so I just got a cash refund. The cool part was that I went to another store and got back my old Peavey USA Millennium V that I had sold to get the SR5 in the first place! That Peavey is a great bass, it has little resale value or snob appeal, but it is incredibly well made and it will give a 55-94 a run for its money when it comes to tone. On top of it, I came out sever hundred bucks ahead since I got a cheaper bass. Going into the holiday season, that is a very good thing indeed!!! :D :bassist: :hyper:

11. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    THX!!

Maybe I'll go back and re-visit that Squire.

If it continues to feel good to me, I would have more comfort ordering a PDV.

Posts here tend to lean towards the American Fenders having pretty consistant quality so less chance of getting a "turkey".

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I always really liked the 4 string version of this bass, and I didn't realize the spacing was 19mm ... I might have to track one of these down.