1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA Geddy Lee jazz neck profile?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dju, Feb 9, 2016.

1. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    Hi all, could any owners or people who have played the Fender USA Geddy Lee jazz bass please give their description of the neck profile. The fender website says: One-piece maple neck with custom thicker profile.
    Pretty vague description. For comparison sake, I have a late 70's Jazz with a nice comfy fat neck. I have a Fender parts jazz bass with a jazz select model neck. Not as fat as the 70's neck but still nice. I also have one of the early CIJ Geddy signature models that has the thin neck. I am considering getting one of the USA Geddy signature jazz basses because of the supposed thicker profile. But I have not been able to check one out in person to see if I like the profile or if I should just keep my current thin neck version.

thanks for any help ya'll can give,
    dj

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    US neck is definitely thicker than the CIJ. It's very similar to the AmStd which I really like. It's not chunky by any stretch IMO. What really sets it apart is the finish. Very nicely done - smooth and shiny but unsticky, if I can invent a new word to describe it. You also find the US pickups to be a little warmer than the CIJ, but not nearly as scooped as the CS60 pickups

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, it's not thick thick, but more meat, approximately like the AmStd mentioned above. A very comfortable neck.

4. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

It's a thick neck, but it has been sanded somewhat flat at the crown, or in the center of the back of the neck. There is no real high point of the neck's back. There is a light coating over the sanded area, leaving it pretty smooth, I really like mine. I decided I didn't need both an Am. Std. Jazz, and the USA Geddy Lee Jazz. I kept the USA Geddy Lee Jazz, and sold off the Am. Std. Jazz.

P0tXqyZ.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  5. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    For me, the CIJ felt thin, the USA feels "right".

I realize that is still subjective...

But I would say that having sold my CIJ when I got my USA I don't miss it at all. The USA works better for me in every way.

6. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    thanks for the replies :)
    Now the fun will begin trying to find one of the crimson red versions. Supposedly a limited run of 100.
    I already have the late 70's in black with white binding an blocks as well as the black CIJ Geddy basses.

dj

7. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Good luck finding a limited edition red one. Know that I am master of these internets and I am seeking ahead of you. If I find two you may have the second.

blackandwhite, WRM and Ryan L. like this.
  8. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    there was one on reverb a short while ago for $2800.
    thats a little more than I want to spend.
    good luck with your search.

9. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    At $2800 you can go first. :thumbsup:

10. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    But a tip if you want the black one. Just send an email to your Sweetwater sales rep and ask him or her what they can do on one.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I took your advice, contacted Sweetwater, and I have a brand new black one on the way. Should be here Thursday.

I too would have loved a red one, but since you are searching the internets in front of us, I knew my search would be in vain.

DigitalMan likes this.
  12. DigitalMan

Nov 30, 2011
    Looking forward to the NBD thread!

Ryan L. likes this.
  13. austin2112

austin2112 Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2015
    The necks are great. Definitely a tad thicker than the Japanese or Mexican models, around the same as MIA, but a little thinner around the sides from what I've experienced between USA Geddys and MIA Jazzes. The smooth finish on back is nice.

I was fortunate to get a red one in September from Reverb, but it was too much bass for me and we parted ways. It lasted almost two days on the classifieds here.

I too look forward to your NBD. May I ask how well Sweetwater did on price?

14. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I. Have an American standard jazz that's my go to. I loved the USA Geddy neck when I tried it out but hated the fa it has the old school truss rod adjustment. I adjust mine frequently so it is perfectly set up so I decided to pass.

15. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    I got lucky and found a red one in the classifieds. I made an offer and it was accepted. I paid more for it than it sold for new but not as much as some of the others I have seen also listed for sale. I also ordered from my local mom and pop guitar shop the black usa model and put it on lay away payment plans. got it for just over $1500 with tax. I'm not in any hurry to get it so it makes it easier to bite the bullet on it by making smaller payments than by making one large payment. Not sure why I also bought the black one as I didn't need it. Now I'm gonna have to decide what to do with the CIJ black and the MIM sunburst that I had refinished in transparent crimson red (I did this before the US version was available) as I have to much stuff in the back bedroom.

dj

16. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    I to would had preferred the more easily adjustable truss rod like on the American standard but what ya gonna due when you really want something.
    I would had also preferred NON reverse tuners as well but at least I can change those.

dj

17. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Ya, I don't understand the 60's style tuners on what's suppose to be a 72 styled Jazz. Why not the 70's Fender script style tuners like even the MIM Geddy
    has?

18. JoePP

JoePP

Oct 14, 2016
    St Petersburg, FL
    I just purchased the USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass today, and I absolutely love it in every way. The neck feels fantastic, like it was specially made for my hand or something! It is a standard 1.5 inches at the nut so the width is to standard Jazz bass specs, but it's thicker front to back that the MIM/CIJ models up near the headstock. Not a whole lot, but enough to give it a nice feel at the business end - much more comfortable than the MIM/CIJ models by comparison which are very thin like some of the Ibanez basses. But the most interesting feature of the neck is that it seems to have a compound radius like the new American Elite Series Jazz - it's rounder (thicker) up near the headstock but tapers to become thinner (flatter) front to back as you approach the higher frets near the body. I own 2 American Elite Series basses (a J and a PJ) and love those necks, so this one feels right at home. It just seems to transition to the right thickness or thinness where you need it and you hand follows it naturally. The fit and finish are top notch - as good as the Custom Shop Custom Class Jazz Bass I owned, and likewise just as good as the American Elite Series basses. I believe the USA GL and the American Elite series rival the custom shop instruments in every way. The frets on the USA GL are perfect, and with the cream colored binding you feel no fret edges. The cream binding also blends in with the color of the maple neck on mine to where you can barely see it - very cool. The aged pearl position markers are a must on any Fender Jazz I buy because I just think they are so classic and sexy looking. The finish on the back of the neck is smooth and fast, and the set back of the headstock reminds me of the black '73 Jazz I once owned (it was black with a white pickguard, maple neck with white pearl inlays!) I should've kept that bass because it sounded just like this new American Geddy, but the Geddy plays much better. Great tone, great playability, perfect fit and finish, cool wow factor - I think it rivals any Custom Shop bass and is less than half the price. Definitely a great buy.

bobicidal and Farseer like this.