1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA Jazz Bass Project . . .What next?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 1stOfficerRiker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. I have a 97 JB maple/maple neck in good condition, and a 05 jass bass ash body. All I have on the body so far is a oem string through bridge and a pickguard. I have to build it piece by piece, as I just plumped my spare cash into a new us jazz bass, kinda put my budget tight for the next few weeks, but hey, I've found out hotdogs ARE good with tobasco sauce, LOL.

I have a great tone out of the new jazz I just got, so I thought I'd build this one to be a rumble beast. I would like a good slap sound, as well as *huge* bottom end. I was thinking along the lines of the audere pre amp,

1.) but what pickups?
    2.) is it necessary to do such an elaborate grounding/shielding as in the sticky above?
    3.) do I need an onboard pre amp like the audere, or can I achieve my goals with a stock style passive setup, then look at something like an augilair later down the road that my other basses could benefit from as well?

In my parts bin I have a kubicki pre-amp and lace sensor pickups that came from a 93 JB Plus at my disposal.

4.) maybe a silly question, but will this kubicki fit in a control plate/cavity if I rip it out of the body it's in? would it require a custom made control plate if so?