Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Jazz Vs Marcus Miller 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Can any one give me an opinion on which of these two has a better tone?

I don't know much about Fenders unfortunately, so can someone please enlighten me as to the difference between a Japanese made vesion and an American made version?

:ninja:

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    There are debatable differences in construction quality, but generally most MIJ and MIA Fenders are pretty close in terms of quality.

However the MM4 is a very different bass from a USA Standard Jazz. Firstly, the MM4 has an active preamp with a bass and treble boost and no passive tone control.

Secondly, the MM4 is made of Ash with a Maple neck and fingerboard. A US Jazz is likely to be Alder / Rosewood (although other combinations are possible). Therefore the MM4 will likely sound naturally brighter and with less of the famous jazz bass growl.

Thirdly, the MM4 has the 70's pickup positions with the bridge pickup slightly closer to the bridge than a standard jazz (again making the sound slightly brighter overall.

At the end of the day, if you are a slap, funk person, the MM4 may be the way to go, but you can't go wrong with either bass. I have seen the MM4 used in death metal and it cuts it just fine. OTOH a standard jazz bass can be used in any genre at any time.

FInally - the MM4 looks cooler :cool:

3. Yeah, I tried the MM against some of the other no US jazz basses they had at the store, and the active electronics gave it the edge over the others, but I've heard the preamp in it isn't actually very good?

4. As a MM4 and owner, and because I tried often the Deluxe MIA4, I would go for the MM4!
    Quality/Price is better on that bass.......
    And it plays wonderful

Bye
    Vince

5. Thanx, I'm leaning more towards the MM4 just because it slaps so nicely and I really want to improve that area of my playing...