1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA Lakland JO opinions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Nov 23, 2010.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    What does every thing think of the Lakland USA JO4...not compared to anything, just how well the bass is made, playability.. etc...

ok compared to a Fender in any way you want to describe... or a Modulus VJ4

2. I can't compare it to a fender, but I love mine. Perfect build quality, and the best feeling/playing neck I've ever played on a 4. I string mine mostly with flats, but when I have rounds on it, it can really bark and grind. I just prefer smooth on this bass.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    To me, the Skyline JO is equivalent to a nice modern Fender Jazz.
    The US JO feels more like a nice early 60's Jazz Bass. The fit & finish is very good to excellent, the playability and tone are what you'd expect from a good Jazz.

4. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Personally, I think SKYLINE JO4's kill any Fender I've played that's out there right now.

Construction is solid, playability is phenomenal (still yet to find a Fender that can match it), and sound is great too. A bit different than a Fender, though. I prefer it, some may not.

And I've heard the USA models have even nicer necks, so I don't think you could go wrong with one.

5. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I used to own a US JO. In one word? saWEET! I regret letting it go. That bass had an awesome tone. It was one of the earlier models with the Lindy Fralin pickups.

I now have a US Bob Glaub with the J neck (same neck as on a US JO). It's like buttah!

6. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    i really, really like the US Laklands. never owned one, but played them a number of times at the Mesa Boogie store. probably the best fender-types I've played, both in terms of neck-feel and overall tone.

7. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had a US JO4. It is the epitome of a passive jazz. Build quality is absolutely top notch. I have a US JO5 incoming. Better than any fender I have ever picked up.

8. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    better than a Modulus VJ4...not tone mind.. that was the trade..

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I've never played a Modulus VJ4 (I think I saw one once). But I've played Sadowsky, Lull, Valenti and a couple other boutique Js. For me, a US JO beats them all in terms of neck, fit and finish (though it is admittedly a close race with the Sads), and I prefer the tone of passive Js.

My USJO with Fralins just nails that '60s vibe and tone (and I've played a few Fenders from that era) at a much cheaper price. I also have a killer USJP with Chi-sonics, but that's a different animal tonally. Bottom line, I can't recommend USJOs strongly enough for a passive J option.

10. bighead4G&L

bighead4G&L Guest

Jun 30, 2007

11. bighead4G&L

bighead4G&L Guest

Jun 30, 2007
    ..back to the subject. I owned a USA J.O. and it was a very nice bass but a bit heavy and I sold it because I preferred the neck on my '03 USA Jazz Bass. I did not feel that the USA J.O. was worth almost 3 times the price of the USA Jazz Bass.

12. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    do you think the Skyline JO is as good/underpar? out of interest

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have a USA Joe Osborn.. I also have a USA Bob Glaub...
    I purchased both basses as soon as Lakland introduced them to the public...
    maybe 2002 ??....they are both equipped with the Fralin pickups.
    I love Fender basses but when I purchased both Lakland basses IMHO Fender was not producing anything that compared...and the new USA Laklands back then cost under 2K each.

The Glaub and The Osborn both are great passive basses...they nail the classic tones from both the J and P Bass sound, they set up easily, the weight is good...not too heavy and the construction is top notch.

I might be wrong in saying this but I think this line of basses from Lakland might have been a wake up call to Fender...Fender has been producing some very nice bass guitars over the past two years especially the American Standard Series...

I see the new USA Laklands Passive basses in the 3K range and I think that price is way too high....

But the passive Laklands are great instruments and I am glad I purchased them..I use them often especially the Glaub....

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago

15. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    First off, I did say personally. I'm not saying YOU prefer Lakland JO4's to Fenders, but I do.

I've not been satisfied with an American Jazz bass, Japanese Jazz bass, etc. in the way I've liked my JO4 and previously my JO5. I personally like the neck profile, it works perfectly for me. So for me, I've yet to find any Fender that I prefer to Laklands, especially in the Skyline price range.

So yes, I think Lakland Jazzes beat Fender Jazzes. I'm not alone in this opinion, but you are definitely not alone in yours, either. There are tons of people out there who love Fenders, but Laklands just do it for me.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    They are wonderful at what they are... a jazz bass. You would have to search long and hard to find a better built jazz. Along with others, I especially love the necks. I own a Jo and a glaub, and have no P or J gas whatsoever. Buy used and get a great deal on a truly world class instrument.

17. bighead4G&L

bighead4G&L Guest

Jun 30, 2007

18. bighead4G&L

bighead4G&L Guest

Jun 30, 2007
    I get you, but all I heard was Laklands "KILL any Fender" out there. Sounded a bit extreme to me as there are some wonderful samples of BOTH brands out there. You are absolutely correct, we all have personal preferences and I may buy a Bob Glaub some day.

19. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Absolute opposite end of the Jazz Bass spectrum from a Modulus VJ. Think earthy, woody, textured, vibey, fat, and fabulous. I'd describe the modulus as the ultimate in punchy, crisp, focused. I'm a big fan of both, it just depends on the context. USA Lakland necks have the best feel of anything I've ever played. I don't have mine anymore because I went with something in the middle, more crisp and punchy than a lakland but still woody (Sadowksy). But my USA JO5 will go down in history as one of the best basses I ever had ... I want to get one in 34" scale.

Modern Fenders can be great too, especially the Roscoe Beck 5 ... but those are getting harder to find. They're usually somewhere in the middle between crispy, punchy, and fat.

20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I think you already have alot of GREAT feedback here....

I have owned a few JOs in my day and still own both a US JO5 (with Chisonic pickups) and a Skyline JO5 (now fretless).

I would put my Skyline JO5 up against any modern US Fender and would put my US JO5 up against any boutique jazz type bass out there and (IMHO) the Lakie would prevail.

The workmanship and feel of US Lakies is fantastic and is hard to top im my opinion.

I have played several Fender and other Js (Sadowskis etc) and like my Lakie more....of course feel and sound are somewhat subjective but quality is not.