USA Laklands - Dealers Don't Seem To Have Any

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeYello, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the Lakland dealers do not have many (if any) US made basses in stock? :meh: Has production slowed or are they just selling so fast? I already have several but I am always on the look out for another that may be different from what I have.
  2. +1 My feeling is that this is due to a number of reasons:

1) The Skylines are very high quality and rival the fit and finish of the USA models.

2) The pricepoint of the Skylines results in dealers turning them much faster, which results in more profit for them

3) There was an article about Dan Lakin in Forbes (I think) a while back, where he states that his profit margin on the Skylines is actually higher than on the USA models.... higher margin/higher volume='no brainer'!

Taken above, my feeling is that we will probably be seeing a distribution strategy emerging for Lakland similar to Sadowsky.... Skylines (Metro's) selling retail through dealers, and USA (NYC) being more of a direct order, semi-custom thing.

Interesting stuff IMO!
  3. I agree. I had a hard time finding one in stock. I stumbled upon a 55-94 here in "the perfect bass" forum, and I had to buy it.:)
  4. the USA ones are almost everytime custom made to your needs..
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    because they can't seem to get orders correct... :meh: they did that with me so I cancelled, didn't want to wait another 4-5 months.
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually, I'm surprised by the few Skylines I see in dealers. One dealer showed me a delivery schedule and it was like 3 DJ's will be available in september or something. This is mass production? I see 55-01's and 02's but almost no JO's, DJ's and Glaubs. I suspect that Dan is having production issues with the Korean Factory (this can be very time consuming). Or they are spending an enormous amount of time in Chicago fixing/checking fit and finnish on the imports. It takes almost as much time to order a DJ as a Fodera (slight exageration:D ) which I find astonishing since they are imports. I must admit it doesn't hurt the resale on Skylines though.
  7. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    In NJ you can try the NJ Guitar and Bass center in Edison - the last time I was there they had US and Skylines in stock.
  8. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    There are a several new USA Laklands at Rocker Guitars in San Francisco...including a Glaub, JO and a Duck Dunn. I have played all three and they are all fabulous. The Glaub is in a coral pink with flats and it is light, a lot of fun to play. The JO is black and balances PERFECTLY, sounds great, plays great, the BEST jazz bass I have EVER played this side of a Lull (no Sadowsky's out here). Even the Duck Dunn, which was in a blonde see thru color with a fantastic birdseye board maple board, was fantastic.

I believe there was also a new USA 5 string of the Lakland original design too...
  9. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Fawkes, there are some Sadowsky's in stock down at Gelb Music in Redwood City. At least they had a couple the last time I was in there, a month or so ago.

I agree about the long lead times on the Skyline sig models. Not sure what the deal is there. My only guess is that the Korean factory runs a given batch size of a specific model bass, and sprays them all with the same finish. The last batch of DJ 4 strings were all in white sparkle. I have a DJ4 in Lake Placid Blue "on order" and no estimated date of availability. I'm seriously considering buying a 5'er that's in stock since I have no idea when the 4 string will be built.
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Seems to me that it's a pretty big risk for a dealer to pay to order in a new USA lakland, unless they are totally sure that the options they choose are going to sell.
  11. basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    One of the reasons of the long delivery times is the pickups. Lakland is trying to fix that, manufacturing its own pickups.
  12. Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    It was my understanding from talking to Dan Lakin about the new pickups is that the concern wsan't that there had been a slow down in receiving third party pickups, just that the potential was there. I believe the delay on U.S. models is due to a screw up by the raw body supplier. That information comes from a post Dale Cruse made at the Dude Pit in the Lakland Ordering FAQs. This may or may not account for the shortage in in stock USA models. I'm guessing that some of the ideas presented above with respect to profit margins and greater customization of US models may be the most important factors.
  13. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

IIRC, the production of USA Laklands is around 25 per month. Given that the vast majority of those are custom orders, it's not surprising that they aren't widely found in stores, even high-end shops.

I haven't seen loads of Sadowskys or Lulls in shops, either . . . :meh:
  15. I got my 55-94 right off the shelf at a dealer in Connecticut, but of course that was in 1999. Lakland hadn't put out the skyline yet. :p
  16. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Really? I was at Gelb in January and I didn't see any Sads...I probably wasn't looking hard enough. They did have a very nice downsized Lull Jazz that was just out of this world.

Rocker also has a some Skylines; they have a JO and I believe two DJ's...
  17. Have you tried Basscentral. They usually have some in stock.
  18. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Sometimes it amazes me how much misinformation is spread around over here. If you ever want the scoop on what's going on with Lakland, simply visit The DudePit or ask me directly.

Much the information in KJung's post is incorrect and readers are all too willing to say, "Yep, sounds good to me." without bothering to confirm.

The reason that US Laklands are behind in production does not have to do with Skylines - or even pickups. The fact is that there was a major screwup due to the folks who supply the bodies for US Laklands. Typically, US production time is about three or four months. Currently it's six or seven. That's difficult, but it's still significantly shorter than many high quality builders.

All this info is currently posted for in a "sticky" thread on the Lakland section of The DudePit. Again, if you want the scoop, go there or simply ask me directly. I'm willing to help.
  19. Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    Hey There Everybody!!!

Just wanted to drop a line regarding Lakland Delivery,ETA, and How it works as far as when your ordering a NEW FROM SCRATCH Lakland from any dealer....Keep in mind that when ordering any bass (that is not in stock at the dealer you order from), Even if the salesman forgets(Which we do) to tell you that Your Delivery time is AN ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL, That is exactly what it is, AN ETA.... Stop and think how many things have to line up for your bass to made and if one of them goes wrong it can delay your bass...Some of these things are beyond anyone's control and can't be helped.
    I know its tough when you have been waiting for a Bass for weeks, but unfortunately, sometimes we can't get it to you nor can the manufacturer on the date we have given you.
    fact of life, sometimes things don't go as everybody would like them to go and unfortunately you have to wait a little longer than anticipated. PLEASE be patient when ordering any new bass and understand we want you to have your instrument as bad as you want it!!!! As for Lakland Delivery times Specifically, They are a top notch company who makes Outstanding Instruments that are second to none. As a rule, Lakland is usually Right on the money as far as delivery times, but like any other manufacturer, they can undergo delays they can't possibly predict, So whatever The reason,(its all really speculation) Know that Great things come to those who wait!!!!and rest assured you won't be sorry you have to wait a few extra weeks for a lakland. as for updates from your dealer, we try to pass on any relevant info we have regarding your purchase when we have some, but due to the volume of instruments that are purchased and produced it would be literally impossible to keep track of every purchase on even a weekly basis. So what we try to do(TRY) is when your delivery date gets close, we call manufacturer to see if this is accurate, and then contact you if there will be a delay. Sometimes it may be 2-4 weeks Later than YOUR ETA date.
    so if you can be patient with everyone involved...If you paid for Surgery in advance, Would you want the surgeon to get done quickly and risk not doing it right?

Michael Amico
    Manager/Bass Central
  20. I would be a Lakland owner right now, but I couldn't find one of ANY variety, Skyline or USA, anywhere within 600 miles of Denver.
    I understand production problems, but I'm simply unwilling to wait 5 months for something like a bass, when there are 10,000 other great basses on the shelves of shops all over town. I was especially unwilling to pre-pay the entire amount to "reserve" a bass that I might not like when it arrives.

I hope Lakland resolves their availability issues soon, I'm rooting for them to get back on track. Production issues that affect availability can deep six a business in a hurry, unfortunately.