Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA made peavey fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4christ, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    What do you guys think about these basses?

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think any of the Furys were made in the USA, but for the money, I think they're pretty good values... especially at the MF closeout prices.

I think the only basses Peavey makes(made) in the USA were the (non-BXP) Millenniums, Cirrus, Rudy Sarzo, and the Dyna (which I THINK has a Moses neck on it).

3. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    The one I'm lloking at says made in usa on the head stock of it.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There were Fury's that were made in the USA in the mid 90's. Excellent basses. You can download a manual for it from Peavey's web site. How do you like it?

5. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    Well i'm not a big fan of peaveys but it looks nice and sound ok.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, cool. I've never seen one of these.

Well, my bottom line is, IMHO, anything coming out of the Peavey USA shop is pretty darn good.

Oh, I forgot, the T-40 as well. I think that one, as ugly as it is, is the first Peavey bass. Thing is, I think they're really heavy and ugly, but supposedly, they sound and play great.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The USA made B-Quad series was great, the Foundation was a USA product, the Palaedium was USA, and the Dyna-Bass didn't have a Moses Graphite neck, I think you're thinking of the G-Bass.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You're right, the G-Bass. They have a NOS one at the local Peavey shop. Of course it's priced too high to sell at this point tho.

So what was the Dyna then? What was the B-Quad, and Palaedium? I'm startin' to get real curious about these other ones...

Jeez, there were a BUNCH of models... I didn't think there were that many... holy crap...

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think they moved the guitar and basses to Korea in the mid-late 90s. They left the custom shop in Meridien, MS to handle most of the Cirrus line. However, be aware- they have a Cirrus BXP out! I think it is an offshore model. Pretty soon there will be no American-made basses left except for custom, boutique builders... :mad:

10. Fender and Gibson will ALWAYS have US made models.

-ryan-

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    OK, the B-Quad was the bass that Brian Bromberg designed. The Palaedium was the Jeff Berlin bass, and the Dyna-Bass was the 80's-early 90's active bass, presumably extended from the Foudation series. The Sarzo bass was based on the Dyna-Bass, I think, with a modifies body design. And let's not forget the TL5 and TL6. They were designed by Tim Landers, and featured neck-through construction and active electronics. The Unity Series was a neck-through as well, and had passive and active models. They had another model, I think it was the B-90, origin unknown to me...

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    But I would never buy a Gibson bass product. Not with their present quality-control issues. Most of their best luthiers have left, AFAIK.

And I would think twice about a Fender- unless it was a vintage Jazz.

From a purely business standpoint, they can have the same basses made overseas in sweatshops for less than the cost of materials, almost. How can the US labor market stand up to $5/day for labor? So it becomes either a labor of love (which ends with the company in bankruptcy...never mind, we don't have that anymore- :mad: ) or you farm out your assembly operations to someplace on the Pacific Rim where they will work 10-hour days for $5 and bowl of rice and fish-heads...it's an ugly truth nowadays. :bawl:

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Until the early 90s I believe Peavey made every guitar and bass they sold in the USA, even the cheapest ones. There were many models with many names, Patriot, Dyna-Bass, Foundation, etc. ad nauseum.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'm not a moderator, and hopefully no offense (honestly!), but even tho you make a very valid and poignant point, FWIW, posts like this are classic cases of how threads get very horribly derailed and sometimes eventually closed by mods.

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, now I thought I had a handle on the Peavey USA works, but obviously, I only knew about 30% of the story. I've never even heard of the Patriot. What the heck was that? I hope this isn't too far off topic (remembering the original point was a specific question about the quality of the USA Fury), but I'd find it VERY interesting if we got into assembling a set of pics and/or descriptions of all the different USA Peavey basses they made.

P.S. IMHO, I'd guess the USA Cirrus line is in no danger of being shut down, because it seems to me that line is doing pretty well, but I could be wrong about that, as well.

16. The US Fury basses are cool. They're like a P-Bass with a J-Bass neck.

17. bassist4christ

bassist4christ Banned

May 26, 2005
    I have a Squier standard series (the good Squiers) Strat, and the guy said he would trade me for it. Good deal or not?

18. Assuming the Fury was in good condition and everything worked properly, I wouldn't think twice about it.

19. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Neither would I :D