Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USA Millennium 5 for a Cirrus 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have been gassing pretty bad for a Cirrus four at a local delaer for a while. Now that I have a great SUB 5, I am toying with trading in or selling my Millennium 5 towards that Cirrus. My Millennium is great, but there is nothing like being able to wail slapping on a four without a B string in the way and the Cirrus really has a tight sound that the Millennium does not have. What do you guys think?

2. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Absolutely! I agree. Some people don't mind slappin' on a 5er. But I always feel like a 4 banger is necessary in my collection. It comes down to what is more comfortable to you. I think the Cirrus is an EXCELLENT choice.

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played a few Millenniums, and they were decent basses, but they never really impressed me. The Cirrus, however, impressed me so much that I bought a 6'er. If you're happy with the SUB as your main 5-string, I think it's a great idea to trade in the Millenium towards getting a much better 4-string that will help you slap.

4. What do you really think of the 5? I have heard people on HarmonyCentral prefer the Millennium over the Cirrus. I am on the edge of buying a 4 string millennium for slapping. I have played a Cirrus and the construction is top notch. How is it on the Millennium?

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I like my 5, it has a Lakland 55-02/55-94 vibe to it. The bass slaps very well and it has sonic versatility. The B string is tight also. The overall fit and finish is comparable to that of the Cirrus. Doggone it, writing this is gonna make me just work harder at saving up! The only problem is that I kind of fear for peace in my house if I have three basses because I could actually use a fretless also, and that would be four!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played my Millennium again when I got home. I think that I can identify why I like the Cirrus. The Cirrus I played has a maple fingerboard along with a laminate, neck through construction. That, along with the twon soapbar pickups translates into a "modern" tome like a Ken Smith. My Millennium has a much more traditional tone, albeit a traditional tone with a ton of sone shaping options. The Cirrus puts me in the mind of hearing Melvin Davis slap. The Millennium has much more Marcus sort of tone. If I can afford it, it would be nice to have both.

7. I've owned a couple of USA Millenium 5s and they are really great basses.I also had a Cirrus 4 while I had one of the Milleniums and thought it was great but couldn't get used to a four string after having five strings for a while.One of the Milleniums I had had a Maple board and it was more comfortable than my Rosewood board one,the neck fit like a glove.If you have to have a four I can't think of a better one than a Cirrus,I know mine was sweet.

8. Ken Smith Huh? I was looking at a millennium also but that Cirrus 6er keeps calling my name

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know what others say, but the Cirrus really reminds me of the Ken Smith tone. Maybe others want to comment on this point. With all due respect to Ken Smith and other boutique makers, I think that Peavey Cirrus quality is second to none.

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My Cirrus has a pau ferro fretboard, which isn't quite as snappy as maple IME. I still love the way it sounds, and as nice as Ken Smiths are, for the money you save with a Cirrus, Peavey's the way to go.