1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USA music man sterling issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AskBass, Nov 2, 2018.

1. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    Hello,
    I've been ownin a music man Sterling for about 2 months and I like how it sounds and feels. However, when I play with other people I feel like I don't have enough bass and bottom end.

Do you have any ideas on how to deal with that?
    Thanks
    P.S
    Don't say buy a Stingray cuz I don't like wide necks

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What amp are you using?

3. Should be plenty there... What are you preamp and amp settings? What are you up giants in the live setting?

HeavyDuty likes this.
  4. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    I am using what that is in the room. It's a TC Electronic

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Does it sound different when you're using your own amp...like at home? Maybe take your amp to compare?

6. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    at home i'm using headphones cuz I leave in a building so it definitley sound fuller in the practice roome

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Compared to my Lakland and G&Ls, my Sterling seems to struggle a bit in the low/low-mid as well. It did seem to improve a bit when I moved from D’Addario XL nickels to DR Sunbeams. So maybe experiment a bit with strings (as well as eq). Love my Sterling, but not my favorite basic tone in the house.

8. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    have you tried flats on the sterling? I was thinking about that also?
    BTW do you think pickup replacement will solve this problem?

9. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Plug it in Acoustic 320 with 408 cab and report back.
    (that moment when headphones sound better than actual "amp")

10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I just tossed Ernie ball Cobalt super slinky's on mine. I run thought an ampeg portaflex. Massive improvement in sound. Defidently a tough bass in the mix. But I I love mine

11. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Here is what my USA Sterling sounds like with a little bass bump and a touch of mid bump on the active pre-amp in the bass...

knight of ni, Ukko, FenderOli and 2 others like this.
  12. I’m thinking you may need to adjust the setting on your amp to cater to the sterling. That bass knob is pretty potent also would you happen to have the switch in the center position? That’s single coil it drops some bass in that position. All the way forward is series and all the way back is parallel which is where it is most similar to a stingray. Don’t be afraid to crank the eq full tilt on the sterling, keep on going until you get your desired sound!

13. Kyuuga

Kyuuga

Jan 5, 2018
    Ah the classic funky "cut through the mix" Stingray tone...unmistakable.

faulknersj likes this.
  14. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    That's my experience as well. I've been gigging with an EBMM Sterling and it's been an awesome gigging axe. Switch is all the way in back position. Some small adjustments needed depending on the room. Usually rolling on a bit of mids and good to go (mine is 3-band EQ). That bass knob indeed is a bit of a brute. Boosting it all the way typically gets too boomy. Never struggled with "not enough bass".

Rig is 2x CN112's and a TH350 (now a MB little tube 800).

Regards
    Mark

15. Jimruth

Jimruth Supporting Member

I run my EBMM Sterling 4H through a GK MB212 combo. I find it sits better in the mix if I put the three-psition switch on Parallel (that is, pointing toward the bridge). Am thinking about trying the Cobalt strings because I’ve heard good things about them.

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you like the feel and the sound, you need to = amplify that. good luck with your rig! :thumbsup:

17. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    That is a Sterling...not a Stingray lol! They have a similar sound though no doubt...

18. AskBass

AskBass

Oct 9, 2016
    Right now I am using the ernie ball slink 45-105. Have you tried flats on a sterling? Never played flats but I understand they are a bit more mellow
    Really liked your sound and also the song! Are you doing anyhting special there with the amp?

19. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Not at all..Genz Benz Shuttlemax 6.0 ....Amp has tiny boost to bass and high mids...like 1 o'clock...

20. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    I have flats on a P and I don't care for it. But I like an agressive sound. Mess with the kids on your EQ. I dropped mine out yesterday and loves it. Bass-6 mids-3 treble-8.